PDA

View Full Version : Injured Comet

ardnaxela
04-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi,
I have a pet comet and I have notice some red markings on him. I don't think he is changing colour because it has occured so suddenly. The markings look like a rash or scratches. I removed my ship decoration from the tank bacause I suspected that was the cause of his injuries but over night the got worse. He has the tank all to himself so he isn't being bullied. I have noticed these markings on him before but they disappeared in a day or two. This set seems to be growing instead. I have also noticed that he is swimmming franatically around the tank. Is there anything I can do to help him? Any advice would be great.
Thanks, Alex.

Little Embers
04-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Alex, It sounds like it could be a water quality problem and I would test your tank for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How often do you do partial water changes and how much? If the red markings are on his fins, it could be sceptacemia (just a guess though) and the red markings you are seeing could be the veins showing through. Septicemia can be a sign of poor water quality or possibly a bacterial infection and it is recurring, he may need a dose of anti-bacterial medication such as maracyn/maracyn2 or perhaps some anti-bacterial food as well. I'm not that knowledgeable on meds. though, but I'm sure others will be able to give you more info. on that.

I would suggest you start by doing a 20-30% water change. BTW how big is your tank Alex?

ardnaxela
04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
I change the water at the very least once a month and change between 50-75% of the water. The red markings are only along one side of his body and I can't see any sign of it on his fins. I changed the water the night I posted this thread and tested it. The only thing out of wack was the pH which I am adjusting. The tank is about 15L. Also I have uploaded a picture of my fish that I took today as my avatar if it helps.

MikeTag
04-22-2009, 01:47 AM
I change the water at the very least once a month and change between 50-75% of the water. The red markings are only along one side of his body and I can't see any sign of it on his fins. I changed the water the night I posted this thread and tested it. The only thing out of wack was the pH which I am adjusting. The tank is about 15L. Also I have uploaded a picture of my fish that I took today as my avatar if it helps.
"at least once a month is not enough... goldfish are pretty 'messy' so i hear. i would do a 25% water change everyday for 4 days. Then listen to little embers for the medication. you should be doing a redular 25% water change every week though.

Little Embers
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree with MikeTag and once a month really is not enough even if you have a great filtration system, because they are messy/big waste produces and need a lot of oxygen in the water. Water changes help re-oxygenate the water and replenish necessary minerals that are naturally in water. That much of a water change all at once though can cause stress to the fish and I feel it is much better to do smaller water changes at least once a week of 10-20% and remember to try to have the new water around the same temperature as the tank water, otherwise to can cause shock/stress. I probably should have asked this earlier Alex, how long have you had the tank, is it cycled or in the process of cycling? I prefer not to adjust the PH and in most cases it isn't really necessary if it is in a fairly acceptable range, most fish adjust very well unless you need the fishes ideal PH for breeding purposes or have particularly sensitive fish. Adjusting the PH often just leads to fluctuations because the water has a natural buffering capacity and will naturally try to readjust itself and these fluctuations will just cause stress to the fish. Maintaining stable levels is far better IMO.

I can't really see anything from the avatar sorry, (he does look very cute though :ssmile: ) have you noticed him flicking against anything? I hate to say this, but a 15 litre tank is far too small for a goldfish and that may be some of the problem.

I would first see if he improves with the more frequent/smaller water changes before using meds.

Gayle
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Be very careful messing with the pH....a change of 0.3 in over the course of a day can stress the fish who is already stressed causing much more damage. Its really best to not mess with it unless it is way out of control.

You really do need to be doing the water changes as previously suggested.

The red could be a number of things, bacteria, ammonia, hard to say. Could you post the picture in the thread so we can get a closer look?

I would probably give tetracycline if the health does not improve after water changes are done.

ardnaxela
04-27-2009, 11:16 AM
My fish seems to be doing much better. The markings have disappeared and he seems happier. Thankyou for the information.