PDA

View Full Version : Am I done?

Kaz
04-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Alright, don't jump on me, I know what I've done wrong, but that's in the past now and I need to know what to do next.

So please don't tell me what I should have done.

I've been doing a fish cycle for 3 weeks today while doing a water exchange once a week and testing just before exchanging.

The test results are as follows:

First week without fish (0,0,0)

Second day with fish(0.1, 0.5,5)(I can't remem ber when this happened exactly)

Seventh day with fish(0.1,0.5,5) (I can remember this)

Second week(14 days) with fish (?,?,?)

Yesterday (0,0,5)

I couldn't get information on the second week(long story) but I did do a water exchange.

So is it possible that in those 14 days I had an ammonia spike and then a nitrite spike and then my 6 plants took care of the nitrates. It seems unlikely I know, but I have yet to do my water exchange today so it's not like I'm just being optimistic. Well I am being optimistic but that's not the point.

Also the only test that I could have botched was the nitrate test.

So the point is that now I can buy a few more fish today then wait about 2-3 weeks.

mommy1
04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
the last test results you gave were from yesterday. what do they say today.

Kaz
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I haven't done a test today, I'm going on the assumption that they haven't changed much from 14 hours ago.

Also out of the following fish which should go in next?

Shrimp
Black Neons
Clown pleco
Cories(pygmy)(although I may never be able to get pygmy cories)

I'm thinking shrimp because they're going to be the easiest to get my hands on.

10lbBass
04-21-2009, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't put a pleco in until you know the cycle is totally finished. I thought my cycle was done, and killed a pleco:scry: From what I understand plecos can be sensitive to your water chemistry (someone please correct me if i'm wrong here). I could be wrong, but from my experience, don't add a pleco until you know the cycle is done for sure.

Also, shrimp need excellent water conditions. So unless you've have perfect water conditions I wouldn't do that either.

I would say go with the neons. They're much hardier.

I don't know about he cories though. No experience there...

smaug
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Yup,add the clown last.Do you have driftwood for him when you do?Corys should also be the last one you add as well.