PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Molly with pop eye

crackatinny
02-22-2007, 06:56 AM
One of our balloon mollies has a very swollen eye, I am trying to get a picture, but being black, it is hard to get a clear one, any ideas what could be wrong and what we could do.

I have just put a dose of fungal treatment in the water at a 50% reduced rate due to tetra's and loaches being in this tank as well

crackatinny
02-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Here is the clearest pic I could get so far.
Everything else seems normal apart from the eye.

Lady Hobbs
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds like the beginning of pop-eye unless he injured it. I would have treated tank as you did. Hope it improves. He sure is a pretty guy.

I've read that popeye can be caused some times by water pressure either from large water changes or from aerating the tank. Other times I read that aerating the tank may reduce the pressure behind the eye.

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
popeye.

Its caused by either bumping the eye or poor water. The eye has fluid build-up and will build up til eventually the eye pops out.

Keep the water clear, and use salt and malafix and pimafix. Theyre good for popeye.

Whats your levels? one eye that has popeye is only a bump, 2 is bad water

crackatinny
02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Not sure of water levels, but it is only the one eye and the one fish, I will look to see if the meds you have suggested are available over here, will using them in the tank he is in harm the other fish?

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 09:42 PM
no, melafix and pimafix are natural and harmless

crackatinny
02-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the help, he actually looks a little better this morning, I will still try to get the melafix though.

I don't like the idea of salt in a freshwater tank, what type of salt?, I am very cautious of stuff like that.

I will do a 40% water change over the weekend and dose again with either the melafix or fungal treatment, (would it hurt to dose with both at same time?)

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
mollies like salt, and ive actually converted some to salt water.

Just read the label on the aquarium salt pack to see how much to put.

Mollies can live in FW, SW or BW.

They prefer brackish or salt, but FW is fine. I had 3 mollies in a SW tank before.

crackatinny
02-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Could not get the melafix, but got the aquarium salt, I also have silver dollars, bala sharks, tetras, loaches, platties, swords, a glass catfish and a suckermouth catfish, and a mystery snail in the tank, will the salt be ok with these, the lady at the LFS said it would, but I trust you guys more than the LFS's.

cocoa_pleco
02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
not sure about the tetras, but the other fish are good.

I know that corys cant be with salt, but i cant remember on tetras

Lady Hobbs
02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
One thing you may try, as well, is put about half a teaspoon of Epsom salts in a bucket of water and leave the fish swim in there for about 10 minutes. Don't add water back into tank, tho. Heard it can sometimes help with popeye. It's supposed to work miracles for bloated fish.

Rue
02-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Almost all fish do better with salt in the water...1 tbsp per 5 gallons of water...adjust accordingly when doing water changes...use aquarium salt...never use table salt...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only scaleless fish shouldn't have any salt in the tank???

Mollies always do better with some salt in the water...it's quite amazing actually...

cocoa_pleco
02-23-2007, 01:26 AM
One thing you may try, as well, is put about half a teaspoon of Epsom salts in a bucket of water and leave the fish swim in there for about 10 minutes. Don't add water back into tank, tho. Heard it can sometimes help with popeye. It's supposed to work miracles for bloated fish.

yep. epsom salts reduce the pressure and draw back the popeye fluid through osmosis

Severus
02-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Mollies always do better with some salt in the water...it's quite amazing actually...

Mollies are cool because they can actually survive in a SW tank due to their brackish nature. You just need to acclimate them very slowly

cocoa_pleco
02-23-2007, 03:34 AM
i remember 4 years ago in grade 8 i brought my salt mollies for science and the science teacher almost $hit himself that mollies could go in SW

Lady Hobbs
02-26-2007, 03:03 PM
It's been a few days. Checking back to see how the Mollie is doing.

crackatinny
02-26-2007, 10:30 PM
You will not believe this, it went down for 2 days, but now is back up again, I will give another dose of the fungicide today

Lady Hobbs
02-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Are you aerating the surface of the water? Perhaps this is doing it.

crackatinny
02-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I have a fair bit of air running in tank, as well as an overside filter

crackatinny
02-27-2007, 02:52 AM

I am going to give this a try, how much water to salts ratio?

cocoa_pleco
02-27-2007, 03:27 AM
check online.

epsom salt baths are good

crackatinny
02-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Just gave him a salts bath, half tablespoon of epson salts to about 2 gal water for 20min, while he was out we done a 30% water change.

I will let you guys know how he progresses.

crackatinny
03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Just another update, I had forgot to mention, when it flaired back up it was in both eyes,

After 3 continuous days of salts baths, I gave her a break today, as all is lookin good, also she would see the net and think oh sh@t not again, if it looks bad again tommorow I will bath again and do another water change, she is a good sport for putting up with all this.

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Guess it's an infection if it's now in both eyes. Sorry. Don't know what to try anymore other than fungal meds.

crackatinny
03-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Guess it's an infection if it's now in both eyes. Sorry. Don't know what to try anymore other than fungal meds.

So apart from the salt baths, it really comes back to my 1st solution that I'd tried, that you agreed with, I must admit that the baths are helping.
But it makes me feel a bit better, that initially I had learned enough from this forum to try an emergency solution:thumb:

As a note, I will add, in my research, I found that a saltbath can also help a guarmi with dropsey, I wish I had known that six months ago, the salts are part of my emergency kit now:thumb:, Maybe you should sticky an emergeny help kit to have on hand, with possible remedies for things like the salt bath.

Go's to show what you can learn by reading posts on a site like this.

I will keep you guys posted.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 05:27 PM
for gouramis? really? must be something to do with osmosis. cool:1:

crackatinny
03-04-2007, 09:49 AM
for gouramis? really? must be something to do with osmosis. cool:1:

Can you explain osmosis please cocoa, maybe even start a new thread with your 1st article:thumb:, you have mentioned it a couple of times, but I can't recall reading of it before.

cocoa_pleco
03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
ive failed this in science, but i think its high to low concentration gradient to which liquid moves, so the salt has a higher concentration, to the salt goes into the fish and the crap in the fish is drawn out. Im pretty sure.