PDA

View Full Version : Carnival Goldfish?

cer
04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Today at the carnival I won a goldfish. I put him in a big cheseball container. Now I was wondering how to take care of him? He is around 3 1/2 inches. Thanks for the help!:22:

troy
04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
First i would get an actual aquariumm to keep him in. You could start it off in a 20g but it will soonneed at least a 55g since commons can get over a foot long.

cer
04-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Ok. I looked around and I realised they can get 8-9 inches. I thought it would be cool to get a big tank for him. Ok so what do I feed him? Does he need a couple of buddies. The container he is in has no filter. I thought I should get an airstone. I know they are messy so when do I clean the tank? That is going to put anmonia up. How do I keep that in check. I will get some pics up soon.

smaug
04-19-2009, 01:30 AM
What size tank will you get for him?for food just get a quality goldfish food such as tetra brand for filters ,that depends on the tank size.

cer
04-19-2009, 01:34 AM
When he gets bigger I will upgrade. Could I get a sponge filter for him? How do I keep the anmonia in check? Do I need to get him some buddies?

smaug
04-19-2009, 01:37 AM
When he gets bigger I will upgrade. Could I get a sponge filter for him? How do I keep the anmonia in check? Do I need to get him some buddies?
Whoa,slow down there pardner.No buddies for him at the moment.As for the rest,you are well aquanted with cycling,,,,right?No different with a goldy then with any other fish.Next,are you going to keep him in a snackfood container for awhile? Oh Lord I hope not.

cer
04-19-2009, 01:41 AM
I am going to the LFS to get an actual tank. Maybe a 20. Then when he grows out of that I will get him a bigger tank. Now how do I keep anmonia in check. Because goldfish are messy and messy fish put anmonia up. What do you think I should do?

Gayle
04-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Well, I hate to sound like a b*tch here........but...........you may want to keep an eye on him for a few days before you spend a bunch of money on him. The very sad truth is that the prize fish like that at carnivals etc... are not taken care of at ALL, they are STRESSED to the max, and typically do not make it very long. There are of course exceptions to every rule, but anyone I have ever known who "won" a goldfish ended up with a sick goldfish in a few days time, and a dead goldfish within a week. Do not add any fish in with him, or add him into your existing tanks, until you watch him and see how it goes.

cer
04-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Ok thanks. Gayle. Can I just put an air stone in? If he does die I will clean it and put it in my 10 gallon. I think I'm going to bed. I can get some pics up tomorrow:)

smaug
04-19-2009, 02:52 AM
My wife kept one of them like this in a 5 gal for over 2 yrs [I know,I apoligize for her] in her class room,it had no filter but one of those little garbage air powered filters they sell at wally mart.I am NOT advocating underhousing fish,just saying they can be surprisingly hardy.Hers actually got over 6" kept this way,it had glass marbles for a substrate,you should have heard that fish dig for food.

toddnbecka
04-19-2009, 05:16 AM
When the carnival rolls into town they go to the lfs and buy feeder goldfish ($1/6) to use for prizes.

Gayle
04-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Yes they do. And keep them there all day with no filter, no food..........its just a hot mess!

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2009, 10:45 AM
They cost 15 cents here and I've seen them for 7 cents. What's great is generally when it's fair time it's 90 degrees and the fish get to be in nice, hot water for however long they last.

Mvjnz
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
When you're sure he's healthy and you get him a proper tank, I'd definitely get him a little buddy. Goldfish are very social and are much happier in groups.

As for the sponge filter, no way, you need something much stronger than that, preferably an external filter, like a canister filter.

MrJim
04-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Goldfish as carnival prizes ought to be illegal~~that said, we got ours from a "prize" at a birthday party, it got me back into the aquarium game after 25 years, and we've had "Ruby" now for 2 1/2 years:19:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3qUNa_65qDk/SbRwPnZ7sfI/AAAAAAAACCQ/4AhF__Hahvc/s720/100_0433.JPG

Mvjnz
04-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Lovely fish:) Hope you got him a buddy too, because as I said they seem much happier in groups.

I kept one by itself in my pond for about a month, and then got another one, and the old one swam straight over to it and followed it around the whole day, and I now have three adults and they're always hanging out in a group together. There are four babies as well and they hang out in a seperate group, but I hardly ever see any of them by themselves, always in a group.

Gayle
04-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Cer how is the lil guy doing?