PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish

HeatherB
04-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I was wondering if this would be okay...

Mom has an outdoor pond and want to get some more fish to put in it. She only has two. We think they are small Koi, not sure. She doesn't want to put the 28cent feeder goldfish until they get bigger because she is afraid the Koi will eat them. They are awfully small. NOt sure exactly, but the pond is over 400 gallons easily!

I have an extra 10 gallon. How many can I safely put in? It is cycled already, has been running with some of my tetras in it, but since all I would need to do is move the tetras out and take the heater out, what do you all think?

She is also asking about the bigger more showey goldfish. After we finish with the small goldfish, what about a fantail, shubunkin or black moor? Could we safely keep maybe 2 in a 10 for a while while she gets another pond put in?

PostalPenguin
04-18-2009, 09:01 PM
I think 30 gallons is the minimum recommended size for goldfish since they are messy eaters. I would just wait until the pond is done.

HeatherB
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
i think she is more worried about the 28 cent feeders. the Koi that are in there are pretty big and she is worried they will eat such little fish. Would it be okay to keep maybe say, 4 in a 10 until they are about 2 inches or so?

troy
04-18-2009, 10:58 PM
i think she is more worried about the 28 cent feeders. the Koi that are in there are pretty big and she is worried they will eat such little fish. Would it be okay to keep maybe say, 4 in a 10 until they are about 2 inches or so?
No, it would not be okay.

jb300m01
04-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Since the pond is 400 gallons and only has 2 koi... I would put the feeders in. Throw some small clay pots or something so the feeders can hide in but the koi can not fit in.

Also, if you have adequate filtration on the 10, I don't see why they could not live in there until they grow more. I'd imagine a 10 gallon with 4 fish is better for them than a 20 gallon with 100+

saix88
04-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Also, if you have adequate filtration on the 10, I don't see why they could not live in there until they grow more. I'd imagine a 10 gallon with 4 fish is better for them than a 20 gallon with 100+

Exactly. Just don't let them be in the 10g for too long and by the time they out grow the 10 *won't be long* they will be ready for the pond.

OscarFan
04-20-2009, 01:26 AM
To start koi need 1000g+ ponds. Next I have grown out comets in a 10g before but their were only 2 of them and i did plenty of wcs. I also dont think koi are natturaly aggresive. So if you feed enough you could just throw the comets in with a few hiding spaces they would be good.