PDA

View Full Version : Green Spotted Puffer in a Marine Tank?

WellEndowedFugu
02-26-2007, 02:24 AM
My friend's family is moving and selling me a 90g aquarium, hood, and filter (not sure what kind). It was only used briefly for freshwater fish. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for years, but I'm thinking this huge tank will be a great excuse for me to try a marine setup for the first time.

I am mainly interested in keeping a Green Spotted Puffer, Tetraodon nigroviridis (the cutest fish in the world!). I've read they can be kept in either brackish or saltwater tanks. Is this true? I'm not crazy about archers, monos, scats, and the like. But is it possible to keep a GSP with any marine species? Can it share a tank with a porcupine puffer?

cocoa_pleco
02-26-2007, 02:30 AM
I think theyre best in Brackish

Fishguy2727
02-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Figure out what it will do best in, not just good in. Good will usually end up with less than thriving and an early death. If it is a brackish fish it is a brackish fish. Don't push fish to their limits of tolerance for any extended period of time.

WellEndowedFugu
02-26-2007, 03:12 AM
Well I've read that they can do equally well in both, but I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience.

cocoa_pleco
02-26-2007, 03:23 AM
ask the store what the fish is in, BW or SW, and copy their condition to reduce stress.

If they have BW, do BW

If they have SW, do SW

I have to warn if you do get one and have it in SW you cant have any anenomes since puffers eat em

kimmers318
02-26-2007, 11:50 AM
The research I have done, and the people I have chatted with on other forums about puffers is that the GSP is high end brackish to full marine as adults. Need high end brackish as juveniles and thrive best in full marine as they mature. Don't usually do too well with tankmates, so suggestions are best as a species tank, possibly 3 in the 90 gal, or with fluviatillis. Beautiful puffers, I wish you the best of luck! I have chosen to stick with FW puffs for now.

Cichlid_Man
02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi,
I had them in brackish and then switched to salt water after they matured.
Brackish when young, and SW when mature. I had them 6 years.
Check this link: http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/brackish/gsp.html

WellEndowedFugu
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys! I can hardly wait to get started on setting this tank up!! ;)