PDA

View Full Version : Best fish to mix with beta's

kylebooth
04-17-2009, 04:09 AM
I have a ten gallon tank, i plan on getting a beta, what fish get along with betas best? can you have a male and a female beta together??

korith
04-17-2009, 04:49 AM
I have a ten gallon tank, i plan on getting a beta, what fish get along with betas best? can you have a male and a female beta together??

I would not put another betta in with another betta either male or female. You'll wake up and find them injured or one of them dead. Some people do make female sorority tanks, but even those aren't perfect, takes a while for the females to work out a pecking order, and can still lead to fights.

Not sure which fish can put in with a betta, maybe someone else can chime in.

glarior
04-17-2009, 05:26 AM
I had a betta in a community tank for a long time. The tank had gourami's, silver dollars, mollies, tetras, and some others. For 10g I would get a non-aggressive/community fish that you like. Remember fish do grow.... lol

kylebooth
04-17-2009, 05:31 AM
how big do silver dollars get? are they schooling fish? could i have 1 in with a beta?

glarior
04-17-2009, 05:48 AM
http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-SilverDollar.htm

They get pretty big... 6-7"

Yes, they are a schooling fish.

I would not recommend a silver dollar for a 10g. I had all my fish in a 29g and I am sure thats what accounted for it to crash. Once I have upgraded to a 55g life has been much better for me and the fish.

What kind of fish do you like? Small, medium or large size? Colorful? Etc, etc...

Kaz
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
When I was younger and I knew nothing about fish I had 2 tanks. The one that worked best had just a betta and a school of Neon Tetras. We had, at one point, added a sucker fish of some sort but luckily that died before reaching great lengths.

So yes, a Betta and some Neons, although any peaceful non fin-nipping fish that doesn't look like a betta will do.

So Platies, Neons, Cardinals, Black Neons,Pygmy Cories or regular Cories would all be welcome in a betta tank, although for a 10 gallon only pick one of those.

kylebooth
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys:)

kylebooth
04-17-2009, 06:31 PM
i should be fine with 6 tetreas and a beta?

Wild Turkey
04-17-2009, 06:40 PM
i should be fine with 6 tetreas and a beta?

if its female, yes. Male is much less likely to get along in a community tank. Either way introduce the betta last.

Kaz
04-18-2009, 01:50 AM
You could go for a few more tetras, but yes, it's fine.

IMO, the gender won't matter if it's only it and a few Neons or something simular. But of course each fish is different.

gm72
04-18-2009, 02:01 AM
It might matter. Some betta males are just fine with other fish, some won't tolerate company. No way to predict this, but you do need to be equipped to remove the betta should there be a problem with compatibility.

Slow Cheetah
04-18-2009, 02:54 AM
well from research, knowledgable people on this forum, and personal experience, i found the most important factors for having a community tank with a betta were

-ALWAYS introduce the betta AFTER the other fish of your choice

-have a back up tank to either seperate the betta or the other fish incase of 'disagreements'

-steer clear of fish that have long flowing fins that remind a fighting fish of another male, i.e guppys, even longer finned tetras such as serpaes, etc

-The major factor here is the fighting fishes personality. I have had a betta that was scared of everything, and another one than saw any movement and wanted to kill it beyond being dead. This is where the adding the betta after other fish works, because he feels he is intruding on their territory, rather than them on his.

your idea of 6 tetras should be ok, jsut provide lots of plants, hidy-holes for them to dart into incase he shows aggression. Another idea to look into for a betta tankmate is the corydoras species.

hope this helps.

Shrubs
04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
I recently introduced 3 ghost shrimp in my 10g betta tank. He destroyed 2 of them... the last one has been getting along just fine for a few weeks now. I have a feeling if I add a few cory cats, I might have better luck at this point, as the ghost shrimp might of gotten him a little more used to the idea of a tankmate. Of course I could be wrong, but that's how I see it at this point.

Pandora
04-20-2009, 01:38 AM
We have had corys in a 10g for a couple of months with a male betta. There has been absolutely no aggression from the betta. They get along really well. I agree though that it depends on the fishes personality, as they can be very different.

Sir Tristen
04-20-2009, 02:11 AM
I also have a betta w/ corys and they are doing fine. They rarely get in each other's way. For a 10 gallon, I'd look into some of the smaller corys that get no more than 2".

thrakuarium
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Betta's as a general rule can deal with a community tank with a few considerations. As an anabantid species the betta favors the top of the tank and in a 10 gal I would rule out a gourami, also an anabantid, as a tankmate. No fin nippers (example tiger barbs) as the betta would be harassed and no long finned fish (example guppies) as the betta would view them as a threat. My male shared a 5 gal with 2 dwarf platys and all seemed happy while they were together. The platys have since moved to a 29 gal. I think corys are also good, and the mid level swimmers that arent known as nippers, neon tetras or cherry barbs for example.