PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions welcome

lasm
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Hello my dear friends,

It's been a while since I came for some advice or just to share something. I haven't been fish keeping for somewhere around 9 months now and I'm having the opportunity to do so again. A friend of mine is giving away his betta fish because he just can't not take care of it. You know... it's one of those times when they buy the betta and those little "betta fish tanks" that the only thing they do is stress the fish.

So... this is what I'm planning on doing. I'm going to get a 10g glass tank with everything, excluding the heater (I'm in Central America, and trust me... it's not necessary here). And what I need from you... is to share your personal experience with regards to possible companions for it. I know it's only 10g... but maybe you could advice me with some other fish that would do great with the betta in there... If you could advice me how many would you put in there that would be great too.

I'll be using and external filter and doing 20% weekely water changes.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers.

Luis.

Amazon
04-15-2009, 04:32 PM
You could keep some of the larger tetras like serpae or lemon or what I would do is get him/her a partner and try to breed them. Its always fun raising fry:ssmile:

lasm
04-15-2009, 04:37 PM
You could keep some of the larger tetras like serpae or lemon or what I would do is get him/her a partner and try to breed them. Its always fun raising fry:ssmile:

I thought about getting him a female and a lot of plants, but it's quite hard to find females around here. If I ever have the chance I would do so. Thanks for the input.

Luis.

LadyHatred
04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
3 IRIDECENT SHARKS & 2 PLECO'S & .... :14:

I joke! Please don't do that....I'd not be able to sleep!!

Well, if you have sand substrate, could get some cories, 3 or 4. Or some minnows...small schooling fish. Not so small that they fit into his mouth though!

He would be perfectly fine on his own. Put him in a place where he can watch house-hold activities but not right in the thick of it.

Getting a female and providing plants for hiding is not a good idea. They must be kept seperate until you actually want to breed them. The plants provide more of a "time-out" than any real security for her.

Just my two cents.

Slow Cheetah
04-16-2009, 03:26 AM
i agree with ladyhatred

especially the female and male not being together for anything except breeding

lasm
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. After reading your comments, this is what I'm planning on doing in the 10g. I'll try to my best to get sand as a substrate, but that is going to depend on availability, there is only one descent pet store in here, so it's up to what they carry, the same with the fish. I'll get a school of 5 small tetras (don't know which ones yet) and 3 or 4 corys.

Although I still have to get the fish tank and cycle it. I'll keep you updated about how it goes.

Thanks again.

Luis.

LadyHatred
04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Wait!

lol Get Tetras OR Cories. You still want the betta in there. :D

:1luvu:

Mvjnz
04-17-2009, 01:22 AM
You could also get sand from a garden senter.. Play sand or pool filter sand.

lasm
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM
You could also get sand from a garden senter.. Play sand or pool filter sand.

That's a really good idea my friend. Thanks...!!!

Maybe I'm to much used to getting everything at the pet store.