PDA

View Full Version : narcoleptic goldfish??

labnjab
04-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Our newer goldfish, a red cap, seems to be narcoleptic or has something strange going on. He eats normally and the rest of the goldfish don't bother him.

Water parameters are great, 0 ammonia, 0trites, and 10 trates, but he seems to "pass out frequently"

He will swim normally for a few minuets, and he'll stop and float in place, sometimes sideways, and sorta zone out, sometimes for 30 or more seconds, and then snap back into it and act normal and eat, or swim around, and then a few minuets later, he's back to zoneing out, like he's sleeping. I don't think its swim bladder because he'll stay at the same depth when it happens, he just floats around.

I just don't know what it is, its certainly not normal and not an odd character trait like some goldfish get. It almost looks like he's dead when it happens, its got a lifeless look, and have seen him stick to the filter intake once, and when I went to move him, he came to and acts 100% normal. Its happening more and more frequently, It has be baffled

Can goldfish be narcoleptic? Thats the only thing I can think of

HomaridNoob6
04-15-2009, 05:05 AM
I used to have an oscar that did something similar, he would swim fine then all the sudden just stop, and start floating sideways, he'd snap back in a few seconds. Narcolepsy or not, its pretty odd. It didn't seem to be harmful in any way, and he was still alive at over 9 years old when i re homed him, It would become more frequent at times, then i might not see him do it for a while. Sorry I can't help you, but it does sound familiar.

labnjab
04-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Glad to know were not the only ones to witness it, lol. Thank you

fraggle
04-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Hmmm.
I had a dog that had narcolepsy, and I know other animals can get it so I don't see why a fish couldn't!
Fishguy might know more if they can get it

labnjab
04-16-2009, 01:35 AM
He got significantly worse today, wouldn't eat and we noticed he had a moderately curved spine, his top fin was folded, and some scales were missing. We made the decision to put him down tonight, just in case it was fish tb, we don't want to take any chances of infecting the other 5 goldfish. The other 5 are really healthy so I'm assuming they are most likely safe if it is in fact fish tb (I read a healthy immune system is usually enough to prevent it) He looked perfectly fine when we bought him. I don't understand how he went down hill so fast, but I think it was in our best interest to put him down.

Just to put our minds at ease, does this sound like tb, and what are the chances of the other goldfish getting it?

HomaridNoob6
04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Well, I've never had a confirmed case of TB myself, although I have been concerned a few times. The spine curvature and scales missing sound right, but the narcolepsy thing doesnt fit as far as i know. Spinning, and things like that, but not the passing out. I really hope it isn't TB cause I've heard a few real horror stories about it, there are so many things out there chances are it probably isn't.

I've heard different opinions about it, I read that the bacteria is present in almost all tanks, but like you said a strong immune system is generally enough to have fish not develop it. I've also heard that once you introduce a fish with TB eventually all the other fish will get it. Just keep up with your maintenance and hope that no other fish show signs. Sorry to hear you had to put the fish down, but since it sounds like it was probably suffering too, better safe than sorry. Maybe someone who has had experience with it will pop in and give some stronger advice.

dwightismyfish2
10-24-2017, 03:06 AM
omg my fish dwight has this exact same thing!! i am kind of concerned tbh
most of the time he looks dead and i never even see him eat
but i take a lot of naps too so maybe he is just trying to be more like me??

Slaphppy7
10-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Very old thread, now closed.