PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barb

slingham64
02-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey Everyone,

I've got my 10 gallon tank set up with 2 Tiger Barbs, and 1 Green Tiger Barb. It looked as though everything in the tank was going well, it's maintaining a temperature of about 74 degrees, and the water's nice and clean. I got home this afternoon and found one of the Tiger Barbs dead. I'm not to sure what I did, I've been feeding once daily in the morning, so I don't think it's overfeeding. Is my water temperature to low possibly? Or is there something in my water I should test for? An lastly, would it be smarter to go an get one more Tiger Barb, or leave the two? Cause I've heard they do better in odd number groups. But that's just word of mouth.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

nick820
02-25-2007, 10:06 AM
How long have your tank running?
How often you do water changes and how much water you change?

It would be very helpful if you do a test for ammonia nitrite and nitrates and post the results.

kimmers318
02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Sounds like a new tank that hasn't cycled and your fish died from ammonia poisoning. Get a liquid test kit and find out what your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are, let us know how long the tank has been running and when you put the fish in along with what your maintenance schedule has been and we can help you out.

Severus
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM
It is also possible the other barbs killed him. Was there signs of physical damage? I lost two barbs due to violence i believe because they had chunks missing out of them and they were very beat up...

Nautilus291
02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
you may want to try raising up your temp to around 78ish. The beni. bacteria like higher temps and so do the barbs.

KneeKickLou
02-25-2007, 05:27 PM
you may want to try raising up your temp to around 78ish. The beni. bacteria like higher temps and so do the barbs.
yeah i second that my barb tank is right around 78

slingham64
02-26-2007, 01:29 AM
I did cycle the tank and my amonia levels are good. I'm thinking it had to do with the water temperature. I've sinced raised it, it's working it's way up to 78 right now.

As far as the number of barbs, is two gonna be ok? Or should i get a third?

Drumachine09
02-26-2007, 02:12 AM
For barbs to be happy, they need a group of about 5 or 6. And since they grow to be 3", i wouldnt recomend getting any more.

Severus
02-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Yes, my red glass barbs have grown considerably and all are easily 2.5". i couldnt imagine them in a 10 gallon

Gelo_USA
02-26-2007, 03:26 AM
would it be smarter to go an get one more Tiger Barb, or leave the two? Cause I've heard they do better in odd number groups. But that's just word of mouth.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I ve got 4 tiger barbs and for some reason only three swin together and when the fourth tries to join all the other 3 attack him.... but thts only sometimes most of the timess they swim together

Severus
02-26-2007, 03:38 AM
My barbs are weird as well. Sometimes they school, other times they are all over the tank in their seperate places