PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

BritishGuy
02-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi,

I thought it was about time I introduced myself since joining AC a few days ago.

I currently have what I though was a 55g tank that is setup for Freshwater. After using your handy-dandy Volume Calculator, it turns out I have a 70g (36w x 18d x 25h). I really should double-check these things when buying used tanks ;)

My freshwater tank is mainly setup with Cichlids and a couple of others thrown in for good luck
: 4 x Yellow Labs (2" - 3")
: 2 x Red Zebra (4" each)
: 11 x Kenyi (2" to 6" - 10 are the results of Red Zebra + Kenyi love)
: 1 x Dickfeldi
: 2 x Hypo Pleco's (6" - 7")
: 1 x Unk. Cichlid. She's kind of ugly and hard to describe. Almost looks like a dark brown/black Electric Blue. I'll have to take a pic and post it! She's also about to lay eggs, hopefully they get some color from the dad, the Dickfeldi.
: 1 x Tiger Barb. (1 of 5 who started out in the tank on their own, before the Cichlids took over)
: 2 x Feeder Fish that haven't become dinner yet.

Since Kenyi and Red Zebra produced a number of youngsters, I’ve really become overstocked. Luckily enough, a guy at work has a 90gal cycling right now and is going to take a lot of them off of my hands. At least this will let me get back down to a reasonable population again.

I've had this tank running for around 15months and I’ve loved every bit of it. So much so, I’m probably going to start a new 29gal tank soon. This will allow me to move my current fish temporarily, while I redo the main 70gal. I’m trying to come up with a theme but for right now I’ve pretty much decided on Black sand with an abundance of Texas Holey rock and Malaysian Driftwood for the little buggers to hide/play in. We’ll see how it goes!

Wow, I’ve written a good part of a book here. I’d better stop before my fingers fall off!

**Runs off to see if the Feeder Fish are still swimming**

I love Pufferfish
02-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the A.C..!

jweintraub
02-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Welcome to AC! Please ensure that since your fish are cross-breeding that they don't get moved around too much. Keep them to yourself and if you are going to give some away please make sure they don't end up being given to any LFS as this can harm the species in the long run. Sounds like you've got quite a stocked tank and I'd certainly love to see some pictures, it sounds beautiful.

Abbeys_Mom
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2007, 05:01 PM
welcome:1:

Chrona
02-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Welcome to AC

Drumachine09
02-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the A.C.!

BritishGuy
02-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

In response to jweintraub, I don't plan on taking any of these cross-bred cichlids to my LFS. I'm sure the new owner won't either. I'll keep these mutts away ;)

I'll try to take pictures, not sure how the good they'll come out as it's probably the worst digital camera out there. I do have a couple of items in my tank which i purchased at my local PetCo. One being a set of large pots and the other a large resin driftwood looking piece. I have had the driftwood for about 12months now and most of the paint has come off, making the piece look like it's been bleached by the sun. I'm not sure if this is harming the fish, but i'll remove it soon and replace it with a more natural piece of driftwood or stone.

If anybody has any tips on the best way to care for these Cichlids, please let me know. I've done some research and some personal advice would also be great!

Thanks
Matt

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
for cichlids, have you tried a stack of slate? it looks nice and cichlids love to weave through the little gaps and holes

*Sarah*
02-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Welcome to A.C. :)

BritishGuy
02-26-2007, 12:59 AM
for cichlids, have you tried a stack of slate? it looks nice and cichlids love to weave through the little gaps and holes

Actually I have and i quite like the look of some of the tanks which use it.

Once i figure out exactly how I want to go about renovating this tank and setting up my 29gal, i'll head down to a local landscaping company and see if they have any scraps left over that have broken off from bigger pieces. They can probably be had pretty cheap.

Back to figuring out what I want and how to arrange it. I'm sure that i'm just going to have to buy a bucket load and then go from there!

Bye,
matt

Severus
02-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Welcome to AC

sushant
02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
welcome to ac

Incredulous_Ed
02-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Welcome to AC!!!

jeffs99dime
02-27-2007, 02:16 AM
welcome to a.c.

BritishGuy
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Okay, i dug out my old Digital Camera with the World's slowest aperature. Unfortunately with this, any movement and all of the fish blur :(

3 Pictures...

70 Gallon Tank with the lights on.
http://www.gnomish-mafia.com\images\70gtank.JPG

A gang of Cichlids staring me down, wondering what i'm holding.
http://www.gnomish-mafia.com\images\thegang.JPG

One of the Pleco's. I'm not sure if this is Bissel or Hoover (wife named them).
http://www.gnomish-mafia.com\images\pleco.JPG

I'll see about getting more pictures with a better camera...especially since the renovations are coming up soon.

Matt

nikipate
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Actually I have and i quite like the look of some of the tanks which use it.

Once i figure out exactly how I want to go about renovating this tank and setting up my 29gal, i'll head down to a local landscaping company and see if they have any scraps left over that have broken off from bigger pieces. They can probably be had pretty cheap.

Back to figuring out what I want and how to arrange it. I'm sure that i'm just going to have to buy a bucket load and then go from there!

Bye,
matt

Hi Matt! Welcome to the forum. We bought a large flat piece of slate to place against the back of the tank as a background and a large piece of petrified wood as a decoration. Every time hubby went they would throw in small stuff they couldn't use so maybe you can run across the same deal....

BritishGuy
03-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm hoping for the same thing! Fingers crossed ;)