PDA

View Full Version : Java moss

Kaz
04-14-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm planning on purchasing java moss from an online distributer and I know that you are supposed to attach it to rocks and drift wood and stuff. The problem is that the driftwood I want to attach it to is already in my tank and I do not want to remove it. So is there a way I can attach it to my drift wood while still underwater?

Red
04-14-2009, 02:39 AM
yeah, its a pain though. BUt all you have to do is tie it underwater.

DrNic
04-14-2009, 03:41 AM
If you want to keep everything where is is you have a couple of options.

1) you can try to tie it down with floss, fishing line, or twine until it attaches. This can be tricky to do underwater and stressfull to the fish if you're not careful.
2) you can pin it down with some push pins. Just make sure they don't stay in the tank too long or they will rust.
3) you can braid it onto the driftwood. I got this tip from a friend of mine who knits. before putting the moss into the tank take it an slowly twist it to me a rough string. (you can then twist the stings together if you want as well for a wider look). Once you have a moss string you can wrap it around the driftwood. When I've tried this the moss has always held itself in place until it grabs the rocks/wood.

Let us know how it goes!

Lady Hobbs
04-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Why can't you remove the wood and attach the moss properly?

Kaz
04-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Thanks guys, when I actually get them (which will be a while since I probably won't order them for a week)I'll ignore all your suggestions and try stabing it with a toothpick!

Actually I got that Idea from Nic but still.

If that doesn't work I'll try tying the string to 2 toothpicks and lock them underneath the wood.

If that works I'll use that on the other ordaments in my tank. I'm not as worried about them since I can take them out, the driftwood is a bit harder though.

sorry about any spelling mistakes, I'm in 'work hour': that hour where you are just tired enough to have a sudden boom in productivity but your average things(like spelling) require serious effort to keep at the normal level.

Kaz
04-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Why can't you remove the wood and attach the moss properly?

If I had to I would but It's a very large piece of wood and it would stir up a lot of the sand in the tank.

plus I have fish in the tank and moving a structure that takes up 1/4 of the tanks ground area and putting it back would probably stress out the fish more than messing around with a string and toothpicks for 7 minutes.