PDA

View Full Version : River Rocks

KatzeSlaugen
04-13-2009, 06:38 PM
So I got a Pleco recently for my tank because I had some brown algae growing in it. I live right on the Conodoguinet creek, which flows through central PA. Itís a pretty clean creek and growing up (even about a month ago) Iíve drank from it since I was around 8 and never gotten sick. All the natural signs point to it being healthy and safe (lots of frogs, stoneflies, mayflies, salamanders etc..). This preface brings me to my question: will it be ok to take an algae covered rock from the creek and put it in my tank for my Pleco?

Alfcea
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Quite honestly, I wouldn't do it. It is not only diseases that can enter your tank if you allow some wildlife to get into it. You could also be introducing other things like snails -and they can be a headache!-, or the algae could eventually take over your tank. I would not recommend it.

The algae spores will enter your tank eventually anyways. The pleco will not starve to death... Do you have some driftwood?

KatzeSlaugen
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
yea i do but its not in the tank yet itll be in the tank within a day or two. hes eating the algae waffers or at least what he gets after the gouramis are done

abaigael04
04-14-2009, 01:24 AM
You can grow your own algae on your own rocks if you wanted to. I think there is a sticky or something around on it?
If he is eating otherwise I wouldn't worry, though.

toddnbecka
04-14-2009, 04:27 AM
I used to pick up algae-covered rocks from a clean stream for my mbuna. About 30 seconds in the microwave will kill anything potentially harmful, and the fish never seemed to mind. It's pretty easy to supplement their diet with veggies though. Zucchini is a favorite.

KatzeSlaugen
04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
the microwave idea is really great thanks. ive tried veggies but he doesnt seem interested at all in them but loves algae.

Crispy
04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
get a few decent sized rocks and put them in a clear container of tank water. now put the container in a sunny window (facing south works best here)... in a few weeks you'll have lotsa algae... take them out and replace them when needed.

toddnbecka
04-15-2009, 03:51 AM
What species of pleco do you have? Sometimes they take a while to figure out that the veggies are edible.