PDA

View Full Version : ? why is he not happy with ....

bluebluecow
04-13-2009, 07:44 AM
the clown loach, he is fine doesnt bother with the plecs or the neons, BUT if he sees clown loach he flares at it and like charges doesnt actually hit him, also will chase the clown loach, could he think that the clown is a female????

The clown is only in his tank to clear the snails, aghhh may have to try and catch him and put him with his buddies downstairs

Liz

Mvjnz
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Your tank must be huge to accommodate a clown loach, these get really big... They are also a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least three.

Fighters have their individual preferences/likes/dislikes etc, and sometimes they just don't like a certain fish. I doubt very much that he would confuse a loach with a female.

bluebluecow
04-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I know that they get big, you should see my mums, he is only in there to help get the snail pop under control, he is about 2inchs at the mo, he will then move into the downstairs tank with the other 2 until they outgrow that then, my mum will have them in her 6ft tank

liz

mommy1
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
it could be because the loach is a new addition to an established tank. the betta may just be showing him who is the boss because he is not familiar with the loach.

matthew.shelly
05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
it might be to colors. bettas generally dont like fish with bright colors.

thrakuarium
05-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Yep, the colors and finnage size of the loach could definately be what is causing the betta to be nasty towards him. He is considering him a threat to his territory. I would be inclined to move the loach to a different tank if possible. Clown loaches have a tendancy to stress easily and get ick.

Oscar_freak12321
05-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I agree with thrakurium. He will get very stressed with your betta after him all the time. If possible, add some more hiding spots for the loach, and that should clear up a lot of the aggression.

bluebluecow
05-13-2009, 05:39 AM
since then, the 2 loaches in there have outwitted the siamese lol, as soon as he starts to flare at them, they swim towards him then swin gently away.

He hardly flares at them at the mo, they have a rock cave to hide in, lots of plants and they also hide under the filter stack house, lol, going to be a pain to catch them to move them.

They have both grown, so wont be long before I move them

liz