PDA

View Full Version : My cycle is done!

Glub
04-13-2009, 05:42 AM
12:59am, my nitrites are registering 0 again!

Anyways, I'm not ready to add fish yet, lots of work to do around the house still.

I'm just wondering, can high nitrates harm my completed cycle? Since I'm not planning to add fish and have to move the tank around a bit, it would be a lot simpler if I just maintained the ammonia, didn't change the water, and then just did a massive water change when I have to drain and move the tank.

So, can I save my water conditioner until I'm ready to set up with fish? Or should I get rid of some of those nitrates before they start causing problems before I even get fish in there?

Fraoch
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Nitrates don't harm anything in particular, especially if you don't have fish in there, but how high is high?

I'm not sure but high nitrates may promote algae growth.

BTW congratulations on the cycle!!thumbs2:

Glub
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
My nitrates are only at 10ppm, so they aren't shockingly high or anything... If I remember correctly, 20ppm is the problem area, so I could probably throw fish in there now without changing the water.

Mind you I will definitely change the water and bring the nitrates down before adding fish, regardless of what my nitrate test is telling me. :ssmile:

Fraoch
04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
My nitrates are only at 10ppm, so they aren't shockingly high or anything... If I remember correctly, 20ppm is the problem area, so I could probably throw fish in there now without changing the water.

Excellent, yeah you probably could. My levels get up to 10 over the span of a week and my fish are happy and healthy.

Mind you I will definitely change the water and bring the nitrates down before adding fish, regardless of what my nitrate test is telling me. :ssmile:

You might as well, since you have no fish in there you won't be stressing anything out. Also best to start as low as possible since nitrate accumulates until you change the water. You could find yourself in a situation where you're not removing nitrates quickly enough and they accumulate faster than you're removing them, requiring larger water changes which will stress fish.

poler_28
04-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Yay! Congrats on your cycle! I can't believe we were on the SAME cycling timeline. *twilight zone music*

Glub
04-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm sure someday I'll see a picture of your tank, and it will look exactly like my tank :ssuprised:

poler_28
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Oooohhh..that would be spooky..lol

.........that would just mean great minds think alike!:hmm3grin2orange: