PDA

View Full Version : Old Fish?

bubble_bee
02-25-2007, 02:02 AM
I see that this has kind of been gone over in the post below, but I still wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask...

My tank parameters are:

20 G
About 78 degrees
5 neons, 2 synodontis petricola (1" each) and 1 male betta
no ammonia or nitrites, about 10 ppm nitrates (almost cycled I think...)

The synodontis and the male betta were added about 3 weeks ago, and everything has been fine. The betta used to be in a bowl, where he rested on the bottom a lot. He swims around a lot more in the tank though, but still rests on things quite often.

I went away for a few days ago and the tank was overfed, but I did a partial water change last night and tested the water this morning. Everything seems fine.

My male betta has started sitting on the bottom a lot more often, and the fins by his gills seem to be "moldy". They're a kind of greenish/brown and see-through at the tips. I few scales on his gills seem to be falling off as well.

What do you think? Old age? Poor tank conditions? Parasite? Does he need to be taken out of the tank, or should I just let him live out his life in peace? He's still eating heartily.

Thanks!

bubble_bee
02-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Oops, I forgot to mention he's about 4 years old!

Chrona
02-25-2007, 02:23 AM
It sounds like a fungus on the gills to me, although the fact that is is green.....hmm... I don't know how long Bettas usually live, but you can try Pimafix for the fungus. I would wait for a few more opinions, as I could be wrong.

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2007, 02:49 AM
its fungus. If more disease occurs, its age and he'll have to be euthuanised

Severus
02-25-2007, 06:29 AM
It does sound like fungus. If it gets much worse would euthanize him. Your betta has had a VERY long life at 4 years old. Considering the average betta lives about a year or two.

Willyleigh
02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
How should you go about euthanising the fish? When I have a fish that is sufering I don't want to kill it but I hate to think of it sitting in my tank dying slowly.

Severus
02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I put one of my fish in a pot of ice water ( by ice water i mean practically frozen but still liquid) It had ice cubes in it and everything. I just dropped him in and he was dead within a minute. There are many other ways though, that was the most convienent for me at the time

Willyleigh
02-25-2007, 04:34 PM
What about boiling water, is that quicker?

Chrona
02-25-2007, 04:43 PM
That's a rather painful way to kill a fish. You should use clove oil to sedate, followed by vodka or some kind of alcohol.

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2007, 05:21 PM
yep. I always have done chronas way.

enough clove oil to make them literally sleep, then plop them into some jack daniels or smirnoff. It rips apart their circulatory system instantly, no pain.

Chopping in half is bad since there have been tests where the fish's half lived for up to 30min after chopping

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2007, 05:21 PM
and it has to be STRONG alcohol to kill the fish, else it suffers, so ONLY vodka or jack daniels

bubble_bee
02-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think we're being a little too hasty with the death sentence though...as long as he seems active and is eating well I don't see any reason to play God....

Severus
02-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Yes, just keep your eye on him and if his condition gets too bad then it might be time to play god...