PDA

View Full Version : yellow lab tankmate

genitor
02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
I have a single yellow lab in a ten gallon. what are some compatible non-cichlid tank mates. The yellow lab is about 1.5''.

Fishguy2727
02-25-2007, 01:32 AM
It needs to go into a bigger tank before you worry about tankmates. It is small now but needs a larger tank. Since it needs a pH of 8.2 and the special Cichlid Lake Salts, the only non-cichlids appropriate are Synodontis spp. catfish.

genitor
02-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Don't yellow labs only get up to 4''. Why a larger tank? Also aren't most cichlids domesticated and adapted to different conditions, lower ph, no cichlid salts etc.?

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2007, 03:20 AM
cichlids need more room. Labs are generally for 25g and up.

The only cichlids for a 10g are mainly 1 krib, 2 auratus, or other small fish

f1oored
02-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Don't yellow labs only get up to 4''. Why a larger tank? Also aren't most cichlids domesticated and adapted to different conditions, lower ph, no cichlid salts etc.?

They might live in other kinds of water conditions but they won't thrive there. Even if you don't consider water conditions, labs will be fairly agressive fish once full grown. They are less agressive than other malawi cichlids but not ready for the community tank by any means. Labs are active fish and strong swimmers, ten gallons just isn't enough room for even one fish. Cocoa is right, 25-29 is about as small as you would want to go for malawi cichlids.

genitor
02-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the high ph and water hadness but i can't get cichlid salts at my lfs. I will get a bigger tank for him as he gets bigger. I wasn't thinking of a community tank but maybe a few dither fish so he will be more active.

Drumachine09
02-25-2007, 03:40 PM
If you wanted some other cichlid tank mates, you could go witha couple psuedotropheus socolofis (poweder blue cichlid) and some red zebras, depending on how big of a tank you get. I would suggest above a 29. At least 40.

Fishguy2727
02-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Auratus are in the same boat as labs, too big for a 10 gallon.

Ask your LFS to special order SeaChem's Cichlid Lake Salt for you, or get it online. On SeaChem's site they have info about an importer (and I believe breeder as well) of rift lake cichlids who was asked to try it and explains the huge difference this salt makes. What are you feeding? The best food hands down is New Life Spectrum (NLS), there is a reason why it is the only thing all three of my Lake Malawi tanks get ONLY NLS, as well as my discus and the 90 gallon Lake Malawi display tank at work (and LFS).

Don't wait for him to outgrow the 10 to get him something else, get it asap. The sooner he is in a bigger the tank, the less likely you are to stunt him. Stunting impedes growth, coloration, health, etc. and should be avoided as much as possible.

Lady Hobbs
02-25-2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.timstropicals.com/Inventory/African/ElectricYellowInfo.asp

Read what will go with yellow labs at the bottom of this link. NONE should be in a 10 gallon tank, however.

Different species of fish have different requirements. Community fish being different as most can thrive without aquarium salt or med water temps. Cichlids are a whole different program. They need a higher pH and need cichlid salt to thrive.