PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Ashley
04-12-2009, 01:53 AM
OK, I got a 40 gallon used tank online, and just filled it up today. I didn't clean the gravel or the filter media because I was hoping to save any beneficial bacteria to help cycle in the new water. So, after filling the tank and getting the used pump going (it is an Emperor 280), I noticed a fair amount of old "gunk" in the water, like fish food, poop, etc. so, I did a tank reading and here are the results:
Ammonia -1.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
PH - 7.5

I added api Stress Zyme after the readings.

Is this normal since the water is all new and dechlorinated?

I also don't have any filter floss in that section of the filter, so it's just the mesh and crabon section in the filter at the moment (I didn't check the sections before going to the fish store, so I'll be buying filter floss on monday and putting it in the filter.).

I currently have my beta in the tank to cycle it. I will also be adding live plants to the tank on monday as well. I have a python vacuum, should I use it on the gravel?

mommy1
04-12-2009, 02:15 AM
did the gravel come with the tank

Ashley
04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Yes, the gravel came with the tank. The tank is now all cloudy. I'm asuming it's re-cycling?

Sharon
04-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Had the gravel dried out when you bought it? If so, there's no bacteria there. I'd clean, if that's the case.:ssmile:

Ashley
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
The gravel was still moist, but not very wet. I think I'll clean with my python.

Ashley
04-12-2009, 12:44 PM
here is a picture of the tank lastnight, this morning the water is all clouded.

Sharon
04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Don't worry about the cloudy water...it will clear. If the gravel was moist you may have some surviving bacteria. :ssmile: If you vac up some of the crud, don't clean too enthusiastically....

Fraoch
04-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Ammonia -1.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
PH - 7.5

Probably that gunk is rotting and releasing all the ammonia.

Is this normal since the water is all new and dechlorinated?

No, you shouldn't get ammonia that quickly.

However since you indicated that the gravel remained most and there was obviously a source of ammonia, you probably do have some beneficial bacteria there.:ssmile:

I have a python vacuum, should I use it on the gravel?

It'll be a balancing act - you want to get rid of the rotting material while keeping the beneficial bacteria. Unfortunately they're probably mixed up with each other.

As a compromise, just do a surface vacuum. Don't jab the suction tube down into the gravel - although you shouldn't do that while cycling anyway.

bushwhacker
04-14-2009, 01:57 AM
ashley do a 50% water change on the tank to cut that ammonia down test the tank every day and do more changes anytime the ammo and nitrites get over .5