PDA

View Full Version : Are these fish compatible?

Captivated by Fish
04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't really know which fish are compatible or not, but I do know that all except for the one say that they are peaceful.
One other thing I was wondering was: Are these fish okay for beginners?

Blue Acara
Dwarf Gourami
Umbrella Cichlid
Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid
Cardinal Tetra
Indian Glassfish
Guppy

smaug
04-11-2009, 06:46 PM
If you are a brand new never kept fish before kinda person,go with the guppys.They are easy to care for,inexpensive and will breed for anyone.They are a great choice to whet your appetite with a price and ease that is very easy to handle.

Captivated by Fish
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't particularly want to breed, though.

jaysee
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
They give birth to live fish so the "breeding" requirements on you are very minimal - as in clean water and food. Most tankmates will keep the population in check, especially if you don't provide enough hiding for the fry. Free regenerating live food!

Captivated by Fish
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
How do you determine if they are compatible though? Whether they are all peaceful and have about the same water requirements (pH, Temp. etc.) and setup?

Ryuu
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Guppies are compatable no matter as long as you have a male and a female. Males chase the females endlessly so its better to get three females to every male. You can tell because females are drab, and normally fat, while the males are colorful and skinny. As for Ph. and temp, they will adapt to most any Ph, and for temp, keep the tank about 78 F. For setup, you will need a filter rated for the size tank you have, or better, so if it was a 20 gallon tank get a 20 gallon, or 40 gallon rated filter. For the heater I would need to know the tank size. If you want live plants, you will need to use a rich substrate such as Eco-Complete, or for fake plants use normal gravel. Wood often helps to create hiding spots for them. A air pump, and bubbler will be needed to create an airated tank, as well as surface agitation. My guppies like to play in the current so a slight current may be appreciated from the filter. Lastly, you will want to cycle your tank which we have a great thread on in which I will post the link.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492

and

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

Taurus
04-11-2009, 07:33 PM
How do you determine if they are compatible though? Whether they are all peaceful and have about the same water requirements (pH, Temp. etc.) and setup?

Research.

If you'd like to start with a beginner's egg layer, try White Cloud Mountain Minnows. WCMMs don't need a tank heater, just food, a good filter, a cycled tank, and clean water.

Captivated by Fish
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I want to know if these fish:
Blue Acara
Dwarf Gourami
Umbrella Cichlid
Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid
Cardinal Tetra
Indian Glassfish
Guppy

Can all be in the same tank (provided it is big enough, of course)?
And are they all okay for beginners (besides guppies, since I now know that)?

Edited-
Just saw your post Taurus.

smaug
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Provided you have a very large tank,a big group of dwarf cichlids like that would need plenty of territory.

Ryuu
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh ok ok sorry, Um, what tank size are you planning on getting?

Captivated by Fish
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
What is the minimum size the tank would need to be? I want to get the largest tank I can when I can get fish.

arcticgibs
04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Hello,

Well here is my 2cents worth.

I have had Dwaft Gourami, cardinal tetra and guppys in tanks together and they did fine. I read that dwarf cichlids are difficult for beginners and I think Indian glassfish are peaceful. The others I don't know about. I have had other aggressive cichilds so I would be careful there, especially when they are breeding. I have found that even if I don't want them to, they have other ideas.

On the side of the sidebar below the Menu sidebars on this page is a list of fish and there requirements. They seem to be pretty good so I would check them out also. They might answer some more questions.

And of course there is that cycling thing with the water. I went to the fish store today and the guy was telling me about someone losing all their fish becasue the water wasn't seasoned (I think that is what they used to call cycling).

Hope this helps and have fun with your tank.

Taurus
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Blue Acara
Dwarf Gourami
Umbrella Cichlid
Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid
Cardinal Tetra
Indian Glassfish
Guppy

I would not consider this a good "community" mix, especially for a beginner.

arcticgibs has given you a very good reply.

Captivated by Fish
04-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Which of those would be good for a community tank (for a beginner)?
What other ones would be good as well for community tanks and beginners?

What about just Cardinal tetras, Indian Glassfish, Dwarf Gouramis and Guppies?

ETA-
Thanks, arcticgibs! Do you know if Indian Glassfish would be okay to add the that mix? I guess I'm mainly wondering if they are okay for beginners.

Taurus
04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
After you have cycled your tank, Danios, Dwarf Gourami (one male only), Cory catfish, Prestilla Tetras would make a good start for a 20 gallon long or standard 29 gallon tank. Once the tank has cycled and matured for a few months, the think Cardinal Tetra.

New World Cichlids are more difficult. They require very clean water, no ammonia, nitrites, and very few nitrates. They need a seasoned tank. Cichilds can be aggressive. I wouldn't start there. :22:

smaug
04-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I started my first adult tank [20gal tall] with tiger barbs,serpae tetra,black skirts,red eye tetra.I still have half of my original fish living in my planted tank almost 6 yrs later.I put those first fish through heck with my ignorance so I would say they were good beginner fish.

NanoTankGuy
04-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Which of those would be good for a community tank (for a beginner)?
What other ones would be good as well for community tanks and beginners?

What about just Cardinal tetras, Indian Glassfish, Dwarf Gouramis and Guppies?

ETA-
Thanks, arcticgibs! Do you know if Indian Glassfish would be okay to add the that mix? I guess I'm mainly wondering if they are okay for beginners.
I would stay away from cichlids - they're fussy, aggressive towards each other (yeah, that's right, even the dwarf ones), as for Tetras - they're excellent - mix them up too. The best size to go for if you're starting out would be a good 55G (if you can afford it) - that way you won't have to "upgrade" if you'll want to. Also, as you become more serious about fishkeeping you will add dwarf cichlids, so the space will come in handy. Oh, yeah - don't overcrowd your tank right away (save soem space for later). Get a school of tetras, maybe the Glassfish as well and a gourami. That should work. Later, you'll add more.
P.S. Cycle fishless and ask questions here once you buy your stuff (ask what to buy as well - ppl have lots of equipment here). Anyways, helped me a lot when I was setting up my tank. Good luck.

bushwhacker
04-12-2009, 04:58 AM
a 55 packed full of tetras and a cple pairs of GBR makes for a sweet tank... oh yeah lots of live plants

Taurus
04-12-2009, 03:33 PM
I would stay away from cichlids - they're fussy, aggressive towards each other (yeah, that's right, even the dwarf ones), as for Tetras - they're excellent - mix them up too. The best size to go for if you're starting out would be a good 55G (if you can afford it) - that way you won't have to "upgrade" if you'll want to. Also, as you become more serious about fishkeeping you will add dwarf cichlids, so the space will come in handy. Oh, yeah - don't overcrowd your tank right away (save soem space for later). Get a school of tetras, maybe the Glassfish as well and a gourami. That should work. Later, you'll add more.
P.S. Cycle fishless and ask questions here once you buy your stuff (ask what to buy as well - ppl have lots of equipment here). Anyways, helped me a lot when I was setting up my tank. Good luck.

Now this is some great advice! It doesn't come any better than that. Great post NTG! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
04-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Read the compatiblity charts here. I would have a cichlid tank or a community tank, not both of them mixed together.

Captivated by Fish
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM

What about a 75G? How many tetras and glassfish would be best? And would a male or female gourami be best?
Would guppies be okay in a tank with tetras, glassfish and a gourami?
Somehow I missed the compatibility charts, thanks Lady Hobbs!

Sorry for all of the questions.

Kaz
04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Firstly remember to throw in lots of plants.

Guppies would work in a tank such as that mostly because guppies will live in anything devoid of chlorine. However because livebearers have somewhat different requirements from the other fish I'm not sure you might like somthing else in there a bit more.

My suggestion is to drop the guppies as you have the perfect oppertunity for a tetra tank. Note that Glassfish are a type of tetra.

My suggestion:

Cardinals
Glassfish
1 or 2 other types of tetra possibly Black Skirt Tetras, Bleeding hearts or Lemons
A few cories for the bottom of you tank would be nice and since you alredy have many free swimers I would suggest 3 Bronze Back/ Albino Cories.
A few shrimp if you would like
a single dwarf gourami would be perfectly at home in 75g
And if you're serious about this, this plan Incudes enough room that after your tank has run for a year you can add a GBR.

That's my suggestion. You can of course make substitutions like trading some tetras for rainbows (They are more difficult though) or throwing in a Clown Pleco or somthing.

But yes if you want guppies in that tank, they would be fine.

Oh and one more thing, I have very little experience so wait until other people come along and tell which of the things I have said are true and which are... well... not.