PDA

View Full Version : Female Betta Owners

LadyHatred
04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
To any of you who keep female bettas;

Could you please tell me if your's are especially friendly toward you?

I can no longer clean my tank without first taking them all out. They crowd around the gravel vac and if I move it, they get sucked into it and trapped at the top. I then have to drain the vac, releasing the fish who look quite insulted over the whole thing only to do the SAME THING the moment I resume cleaning.

If I have the algae scrubber in there (without the magnet..its just too strong and drags the tank about) cleaning is near impossible as I have every single fish (5) inspecting my hand, tasting my fingers, chasing me and the pad back and forth and making a fuss when I get near the corners for whatever reason. The group hissy fit in the corner usually ends up with two fish fighting, doing that odd lip-lock, stiff as a post, floating in the currant, until someone runs out of breath and has to disengage and go for air. The looser resumes harassing me from the other side of the algae pad.

Is this normal behavior? :help:

invadertoast
04-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I've been keeping females in my community tank for about a year now and they are defiantely curious, but not aggressive towards me. I have three right now and they each got sucked up the gravel vac once and now they avoid it. They don't care about the algae scrubber either or if I'm moving stuff around in the tank. However, my aunt had a group of four that she had to remove for cleaning because they'd get in the way and make it impossible. I think it depends on the individuals. I've been lucky and all my females have been very mellow, they flare at eachother sometimes but they've never had a lip-lock.

Wild Turkey
04-10-2009, 08:55 PM
The later bit sounds like the fish you think is the looser is actually the winner, they are fighting over you. They like to be around your hand because it brings food, and when it gets close to the corner the space gets smaller, so they fight over it (and you).

My female is very friendly but also not aggressive. She like to rub on me and stuff when i work in the tank, but she leaves me alone mostly when i have the siphon in hand. Perhaps some sort of distraction?

LadyHatred
04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
A distraction eh? Never concidered that. Taking them out is easy enough, they swim into my hand and I scoop them out into the bucket. Might toss in some food while I clean. Thanks for the tip!

s72450
04-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I've had some that were not so friendly and then others that are. The two I currently have are one of each, "Ruby" is really friendly and constantly searches the tank for me when I walk past and "Saphire" tends to keep to herself and never has much to do with me.

Sharon
04-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Mine are like that too...They are very enthusiastic eaters, and I think they are expecting food. I've had several jump out while I'm feeding....:ssuprised:

s72450
04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
The one thing that really amuses me is how Ruby and Saphire have this huge 55 gallon tank with lots of plants and hiding places and yet they always end up in the same spot and won't leave each other alone. I mean they don't fight, but Saphire followes Ruby around, I guess trying to bully her.