PDA

View Full Version : 14 Gal Stocking Suggestions

soldier-sailer
04-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone. Well, I've finally got the BioCube I won up and running. 20 pounds live sand and about 15-20 pounds live rock. I've had quite a few people with SW experience come by to check it out and I've been given the green light to procede with stocking. I have been given some suggestions and I really want to see what the fine experts on here think as well. I have considered clowns, but would rather go with some other kind of fish. I really like the pajama cardinal, and various Dottybacks. Basically, I'd like to hear some feedback on what YOU would put in 14 Gal. This is my first attempt at SW so a hardy type wish would be awesome. Thank you all so much for your help, I look forward to all you have to say!

AABatteries
04-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I would go with a o. or p. clown and clown goby, or a firefish and a clown goby.

coachfraley
04-10-2009, 08:46 PM
IMO, a dottyback in a 14g would turn into a jerk. I think they need a little more space to mellow out in.

If it were me (and clowns were excluded), I would do a goby-shrimp pair and firefish.

I know you will want to cram a lot of fish in there, but in the long run, a lower bio-laod will make the tank much easier to deal with!

BTW, what are you putting in your rear chambers?

soldier-sailer
04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the tips! I have a biocube skimmer in the first chamber, in the second I took out most of the bioballs and filled it with poly fiber. next of course is the sponge. I read on here that the bioballs werent really needed with all the live rock and sand. Do you have any suggestions coach? I'd like to find out more about making the second chamber into a refugium.

coachfraley
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I am not too familiar with the chambers on the biocube (I have experience with the JBJ tanks). Here is a link that describes the general setup for the fuge, which I would recommend very highly.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70138&st=0&start=0

If you look on nano-reef (all-in-one section), you should see quite a few biocube build threads. I would just look through those and find a setup to copy.

AABatteries
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I would take out all the filter media. Its just going to cause nitrate problems down the road.

soldier-sailer
04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks a lot to you both!

AABatteries
04-11-2009, 05:19 AM
No problem. :22:

saix88
05-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Dottybacks are jerks, get a royal gramma.

soldier-sailer
05-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks saix88. I have pretty much written off Dottybacks