PDA

View Full Version : Will adding instant ocean to my tank kill the bacteria if its cycling?

Puff Daddy
04-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank and I'm going to start making it brackish. I made a gallon of dechlorinated water with a half cup of instant ocean, thats what the box told me. I haven't put in yet cause I'm affraid it'll kill the bacteria. I also don't have my refractometer yet, it's coming in the mail. Will the tank be fine or should i only add so much?

labnjab
04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't add anything till you get a refractometer. That way you can get the salinity correct. It will kill the bacteria as the saltwater bacteria is slightly different. You should also be using ro water

Puff Daddy
04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
what is ro water?

kaybee
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
How far along in the cycle is your tank (I presume you're doing a fishless cycle?).

For a smooth beneficial bacteria transition, increase specific gravity no more than 0.002ppm weekly. (refractometer required monitoring the salinity increase).

edit:
RO= Reverse Osmosis

RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/De-ionization) is even better.

Puff Daddy
04-10-2009, 11:23 PM
my tank has been cycling for 1 week with a gsp. i wouldn't have done this but, it was before i knew anything, and the tank is temporary until i move. i know that gps' are supposed to be in brackish water, so i figured i should raise the salinity. because there will be salt in the water, does that mean i will need a saltwater test kit?

AABatteries
04-13-2009, 02:57 AM
The GSP will eventually become full marine, just to let you know.

kaybee
04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
...will need a saltwater test kit?

I believe that the API test kits come with both FW and SW cards (though some like the nitirite test give the same result for both FW/SW).

When my green spotted puffer tank was brackish I'd find select an intermediate color to determine what the approximate value of the parameters were (namely the nitrate test since the tank was already cycled).

truckin35
05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I believe that the API test kits come with both FW and SW cards (though some like the nitirite test give the same result for both FW/SW).

When my green spotted puffer tank was brackish I'd find select an intermediate color to determine what the approximate value of the parameters were (namely the nitrate test since the tank was already cycled).
dont listen to what everybody on this site tells you 0.002 is to much salt. i tried exactly what these people tell you my nitrites went up and i lost three fish. i am not sure how to convert I have heard someone at my local fish store say something like a drip line. the salt kills the bacteria you need for your fish to live. so for me i am done trying to convert my tank. plus i was told the brackis fish will do fine in freshwater.

coachfraley
05-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I am a little confused about your response truckin...if you use a drip line, you would still be raising the salinity, it would just be a little more gradual than doing it by water changes.

How much and how fast did you raise your salinity when you experienced your loses?

truckin35
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
i dont know how to convert a tank. i was raising my salinity at 0.002. my nitrites went up.i lost two fish. i went to my fish store.and they said that fresh and saltwater bacteria are not the same. the salt kills the freshwater bacteria.

Algenco
05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
you were re-cycling the tank to brackish, the same precautions apply, test often, perform WC as necessary to keep toxins low.
I've looked through your posts and can't find any info given to you that was wrong.
Please Pm links to threads where you feel bad info was given

kaybee
05-08-2009, 10:07 PM
i dont know how to convert a tank. i was raising my salinity at 0.002. my nitrites went up.i lost two fish. i went to my fish store.and they said that fresh and saltwater bacteria are not the same. the salt kills the freshwater bacteria.

At 0.002ppm weekly, that shouldn't happen. How long was the tank cycled prior to adding salt and how accurate was the device used to measure the salinity? How was salinity increased?

At a certain brackish range FW and SW beneficial bacteria would exist (the FW bacteria die-off and SW bacteria grow out are gradual).