PDA

View Full Version : New tank...

Ashley
04-10-2009, 01:44 PM
So, I am in the process of getting a new 40 gallon tank. My plan is to get 2 blood parrots and a smaller pleco (like a clown pleco), or two. So I'm seriously considering adding sand. My tank already comes with gravel, but before I set things up I want them planned out. I have play sand for children`s sand boxes that I had for my bearded dragon, is this what you use in an aquarium? How the heck do I clean the sand? Also, will sand make my tank's water dirty? I know pleco's like to burry themselves so I really would like to use the sand I have and add a whole lot of wood. at my lfs they sell many types of woods for inside an aquarium, what kind of wood do Plecos prefer, or will any of the aquarium woods do? I also want live plants. Is sand ok for live plant growth?

glarior
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
You can use the play sand. I have seen other post talking about it on this forum. To clean the sand all I did was put it in a big pot and run water through it while agitating it with my hand. Then I put it in the aquarium. Won't make your aquarium water dirty unless the sand is full of dirt. When I used play sand I took it from an old swimming pool setup my neighbors had. I used a shovel and got dirt and stuff with it but by washing the sand I had no problems. For the wood I don't think it would matter as long as you clean it. I have malaysian drift wood and my pleco likes it.

As for the plants I don't know.

troy
04-12-2009, 02:12 AM
sand would be okay but they don't contain a lot of nutrients.

smaug
04-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Sand will do fine,nutrients are your responsibility to add to it in the form of root tabs and liquid ferts and yes it does great for live plants.For your clown plec make sure to add wood of some sort as they require it in there diet,any type sold for use in aquariums will work fine.