PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

MCHRKiller
04-10-2009, 04:13 AM
I am seriously thinking about putting an angelfish in my 55G planted, I am going to bump my tiger barb shoal up to 10. With that number do you think the angel could hold his own? I would be getting a good sized one for sure, probably a 50cent piece body size sub adult. I wouldnt be getting a super veil or anything...maybe a standard veil at the most preferably a standard fin if I can find it.

Sharon
04-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Tiger Barbs are known for nippiness, and some say they should be in a species specific tank. It's hard to say if the Angel will be OK.

Wild Turkey
04-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I Find that tb's tend to give everything a hard time in the first few days. How well it goes after, is hit or miss. I keep my tbs with catfish and minnows, they dont harass either, but 1 minnow has been eaten(amazingly). Im going to try out some medium sized tetras next, but like i said, hit or miss.

Angels are about the worst candidates for tigerbarb tankmates and i would be amazed if you could pull it off with any amount of tbs.

Taurus
04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Haven't we already had this discussion before killer? :ssmile:

Angels + Tiger Barbs = Disaster ?

Or was that another equation? I think the answer was the same. :help:

;-)

MCHRKiller
04-11-2009, 01:25 AM
lol, yeah I was mainly asking if anyone has had sucess with it. Id be willing to give it a try if somebody out there had tried it with good results. I always choose strange combinations of fish. Which usually by some strange coincidence work out but you guys are right, this is best left alone to another time and another tank. Thanks guys :)

Someone carried in a Kissing Gourami they had been keeping in a 1G tank, and instead of upgrading it they just gave it to me. I might bring him home in a day or two, hes in suprisingly excellent condition. My SO used to keep one with some tiger barbs and despite being a rather ugly fish it was interesting. But then Ive never been one to really keep dashingly beautiful fish anyway :)

Lady Hobbs
04-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Honestly, I would not chance it. One small angel against 10 barbs is not a good average for survival.

MCHRKiller
04-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Agreed, it would make for a lovely display if only those barbs would allow it. *sigh* I guess the kissing gourami it is. I really just wanted a fish with some personality, these shoalers just arnt cutting it for me on the personality aspect. lol

jaysee
04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Crayfish are pretty cool to watch as they patrole the bottom (and anywhere they can climb to) and would probably withstand the nippiness. In a 55 you could get a couple. The blue crayfish are stunning and will grab everyone's attention. Plus, they help clean the aquarium.

Would a nice sized cichlid work?

Kissing gouramis are pretty aggressive, can grow rather large (10") and will work, and while they have some personality, they do not have as much as a crayfish and definitely not as much as a cichlid.

smaug
04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I have 2 very large tigers in with my angel,they are horrified of him.

MCHRKiller
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Im trying to stay away from cichlids with this tank as its main purpose is to have live plants, and I already have 2 tanks dedicated to cichlids :) And you know Ive never thought about a crayfish either.

Thanks for that smaug, Im glad to know that it is indeed possible! Was your angel grown when you put the barbs in?

smaug
04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Im trying to stay away from cichlids with this tank as its main purpose is to have live plants, and I already have 2 tanks dedicated to cichlids :) And you know Ive never thought about a crayfish either.

Thanks for that smaug, Im glad to know that it is indeed possible! Was your angel grown when you put the barbs in?
Yes he was.They grew up in a 20gal with a school of 6 of them and a bunch of mixed tetra.When there tank mates got old and started dying off I broke it down and moved all of them to my 58 gal planted.Surprisingly my tigers have been perfecly behaved the whole time.