PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Rainbows?

190MPH
04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I recently added a 3rd Boesmani to my tank along with 2 others already there. I think they are all males, one has an orange back half, the other 2 yellow. Anyway, I've noticed recently that they seem to have some slices missing from their tails. Is it possible that they are all fighting because of the new addition? I'm hoping this is not a fin rot issue, I don't see any of my others in the tank with this. I want to get about 2-3 more of them, but I don't want to create havoc on the tank. I am treating with both Mela and Pimafix because they are supposed to be safe for all. Thoughts?

ccald77
04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
i believe your problem maybe not enough rainbows. maybe someone with more experience can help you out better but i introduced two bose to my tank and all they did was chase each other although i never saw anyone get hurt. As i added more rainbows they became more docile. they do better in groups of five or more.

Lady Hobbs
04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Those that are gold/blue half and half are males. The all golds are females. Mine get a bit snotty when doing their early morning mating but when that ends, they are all pals and the guys go off together. What else is in the tank with them because that much aggression would surprise me.

190MPH
04-15-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm pretty sure they're all males. I have noticed that one seems to be the most dominant because he chases the other two a bit. But then I've seen them all hanging out together. The tails haven't seemed to have gotten worse since. I want to add 2 or 3 more, but I want at least 2 of the 3 to be females and sometimes it's hard to tell when they're young. Otherwise I may wind up with a rainbow version of the UFC:hmm3grin2orange: !

kennedpa
05-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Must be silly season for Rainbows.... I have 3 male Salmon red, 2 male Boesies and 1 femal. I male Boisie Karked while they were feeding. Now one of the Reds are acting strange, hanging around the top were he is usually swimming around with the others playing tag. Now he is hiding amongst the plants out of sight. Other than that his eating...All other Rainbows seems fine :help:

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
The only bows I see aggression from at all is my Splendia's. The are twice as large as the turquoise or boesemani and much more dominate in their tank. I ended up having fry from them and had wayyyyyy too many of them so they were taking things over. Now that I have gotten rid of all but 7 of them, it's a lot quieter in their tank. Generally the only aggression I see at all is in the morning during their spawning ritual but then never any nipping or biting. Most of the aggression is directed at the female.

Some people keep nothing but male tanks because they are the ones with all the color altho they do color up better during mating.

Splendida's make for good dither fish due to their size.

kennedpa
05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Two of three Reds have now ganged up on the other Red, chasing the begezzus out of him....his tail is is in tatters:scry:

Zilla
06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I bought 3 Rainbows last week. I got one that I cannot identify ( looks like a Giant Danio sans the stripes) and two Melanotaenia Trifasciata. The two Melanotaenia Trifasciata were taken out of the tank and went for a ride to the LFS I worked for years ago yesterday as they couldn't play nice with anybody.

Once they were gone, the one Rainbow I kept chilled out almost immediately and has been happily exploring the entire tank. I've since done some more reading and found that more and more people are having issues with Rainbows, and they are mostly aggression issues even though people that are fans of Rainbows insist that I'm crazy for saying that their lovely favorite fish are capable of being total jerks. Oh well, I guess I'm crazy then. I'd rather have a tank with a few happy fish versus a tank full of miserable / fearful / chewed on fish...

190MPH
06-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Interestingly enough, I recently had one of my Boes in QT for what seemed to be a fungal infection. He recovered nicely, so I reintroduced him back into the main tank and he has turned into somewhat of a bully. He now chases some of the other fish away from wherever he might be at the time. Not enough to make the others hunker down in the corner, but there is definately a bit of edgyness to it.

kennedpa
06-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Well I am happy to say that mine have settled down well since I intro'd some more females..no more tattered tails thumbs2:

JerikasTank
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
We have four male Bose's and two females. We tried to even it out but was difficult to tell when they were young. The largest male can be a bit of a jerk at times but they all get along for the most part. And they definately keep a nice color with females around, along with good water conditions of course.

Oddly enough, the smallest female seems to enjoy hanging out with the Gourami about 5 times her size. Kind of odd, but cute.