PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Cycling Question.... ;)

poler_28
04-09-2009, 10:25 PM
So, I've been fishless cycling now for ummmmm...a little over 2 weeks. For the past 6 days, my readings have been exactly the same:
Ammonia 0(I keep adding enough daily to keep it up to 2-3),
Trites 2-5,
Trates 5-10.

So, for those of you who remember, how long did it take YOUR tank to complete the cycle after the trites peaked? I know the sticky says 2-4 weeks, but I was just curious what others experienced.... :11:

Northernguy
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
It sounds like you are almost there!thumbs2:
When the trites drop to 0 and you have no ammonia,and your nitrates are under 20ppm you are ready for fish.
I know you will miss adding ammonia everyday but watching the fish is more fun!:hmm3grin2orange:

poler_28
04-10-2009, 02:12 PM
:18: I have grown so fond of adding ammonia, that I think I may just skip the fish and keep an ammoniaquarium. :hmm3grin2orange:

I do feel it's soooo close to being done, I'm just getting a little impatient....everyday...same result.

Wild Turkey
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Make sure you run an airstone, this is the part of the cycle that requires oxygen to function.

Also, raising the temp a few degress can help, as its closer to the bacteria's preferred temp

Northernguy
04-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Make sure you run an airstone, this is the part of the cycle that requires oxygen to function.

Also, raising the temp a few degress can help, as its closer to the bacteria's preferred temp

Good plan! That may just help it along!

poler_28
04-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Yep, I've had all that going since the beginning....temp 85, 2 5"airstrips (29g)

Ellen4God
04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
:18: I have grown so fond of adding ammonia, that I think I may just skip the fish and keep an ammoniaquarium. :hmm3grin2orange

LOL That's great. :]

Good luck! Just a while longer, and you'll be done! Hang in there. :11:

Glub
04-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Started cycling March 25th.

March 27th nitrites started to register in around 0.5

April 3rd nitrites were in that iffy area between 2.0-5.0 and the ammonia started dropping to about 0 overnight after this.

April 11 - nitrites tested a definite 0.5, some dropping was suspected a few days earlier, but the test was in too much of a grey area to be certain.

Going to test again tomorrow and see where I'm at.

So... 18 days, cycle is still progressing... Current readings Ammonia - 0 (maintained at 2-3ppm), nitrites 0.5

Wild Turkey
04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Yup, as the example glub gave implies, patience is the key.

poler_28
04-11-2009, 05:28 PM
New development!

Here's my test from today:
Ammonia 0
Trites came down from 2-5 (yesterday) to .50-1
Trates are JUST under 10, but definately a little darker than yesterday.

When your cycle was completed, what were your Trate readings? Are they supposed to get alot higher?

Wild Turkey
04-11-2009, 05:30 PM
New development!

Here's my test from today:
Ammonia 0
Trites came down from 2-5 (yesterday) to .50-1
Trates are JUST under 10, but definately a little darker than yesterday.

When your cycle was completed, what were your Trate readings? Are they supposed to get alot higher?

You will have nitrate when you are finished. How much varies a lot.

If your nitrites are going down you should be done soon.

poler_28
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
:19: :19: :19: :19:

That's what I'm hoping!

Glub
04-12-2009, 01:38 PM
April 12 - Nitrites ~0-0.1

So I think tomorrow it's going to hit 0... Then I think I'm just gonna leave it for 2-3 days to let everything get settled in once the cycle is done before I start throwing the fish in. Looks like you aren't far behind, either.

poler_28
04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Today I got a strange reading w/ Nitrite:
I added the drops, it turned a bright purple(like a 1) then in the 5 min. waiting period, it dropped to .50. I decided to wait a little longer and at the 7 min. mark, it was clear, and then it started to turn blue. It wasn't the vibrant aqua blue on the chart, more like a faint green/blue. So, what does that mean?
Nitrates are about the same..reading at 10.

Wild Turkey
04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Test it again and take the reading you get at 5 minutes. Be sure to shake the bottles vigorously before each use to ensure accurate readings throughout the life of the test.

poler_28
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
That's the thing...I DID test it twice, with the same results. I also beat the heck out of the bottle bc I read about it possibly solidifying, just to be safe. Before when I was preparing the 2nd bottle, I would just shake it really fast and hard for the minute. I honestly don't think it's an error on my part....but who knows? It's just strange how it lightened up to blue like that. Before I started cycling, I did a base test and the result was bright blue immediately. If I have no nitrite, that's the result I should be getting right? Obviously I'm not going to add any fish until I know this is an accurate result. So weird.

Glub
04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm experiencing the same thing. If you watch your test very closely you'll actually notice that the purple is concentrating itself down at the bottom of the tube. If you catch it at the right moment, you'll see a very thin layer of deep purple on the bottom, bleeding out of the blue at the top.

This leads me to believe that the solution reading expires literally within minutes after the 5min mark.

When my nitrites were around 2.0-5.0, I could leave the tube over night and it would still be purple in the morning. When my readings dropped to 0.5, the tube would have a 0-0.25 reading if I wasn't there to check it right at the 5 minute mark.

My approach and advice... Don't rely on the tube to tell you when your cycle is done, just use it as a guideline. When you test 0 nitrite right on the 5 minute mark, give it an extra day or so of running with ammonia just to be 100% certain that you've eliminated any errors in the test, and you should be more than safe to add fish.

You're not alone with this shifting reading the longer you leave the test.

Glub
04-13-2009, 06:05 AM

Just a little before 1am I tested

Nitrites - 0 *first 0 reading, cycle is complete!
Nitrates - ~10ppm (maybe a bit under)

Hope that answers your question :ssmile:

poler_28
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow, I'm glad I have a cycling buddy!! woo hoo!
I tested again last night and got a 0 reading at the 5 min. mark.
Was your bright blue, like the chart color? Mine was still a clear, grayish blue...not bright. But, I'm going to go test now....stay tuned!...

Glub
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Very good question, actually...

I can tell you this...

The tube will look almost clear from a distance, with only a slight discolouration to it.

Close up, there will be no purple in the colour at all.

If you do the test on regular tap water, the tube should go blue right from the beginning.

If you do it on tank water, it will read purple, and then blue.

So I honestly can't say what it should be looking like, but I can say that if you are getting a blue reading within the 5 minutes, your nitrites are probably at, or very close to 0. This is partly why I've decided to wait a few days before getting fish, just to eliminate any errors or confusion caused by misinterpreted test results.

I don't have an already established tank that I can test for you, unfortunately, so we're pretty much in the same boat right now.

Last night my, my test read a clear, bright blue.

Today, my tests read an almost invisible grey, which isn't anywhere on the charts at all. Then it goes light blue...

So, either my test kit has expired in the last 3 days or so, or you're looking a light blue colour, just like on the charts...