PDA

View Full Version : Started Fishless Cycle

jackson17
04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
As you all saw from my other thread, started off on a bad foot lol. Just started my fishless cycle about 5 minutes ago. My ammonia level is at 8ppm. The cycle was already getting started since I had fish in there since Monday and had water in there since Saturday or Sunday.

My understanding of the fishless cycle is keep the ammonia levels high and just keep testing until they get to 0ppm and the nitrites at 0ppm also. No cleaning or anything just keep testing keeping ammonia high. A guy at my gym has friends with aquarium's so I am going to ask him if he can get some filter media from his friend, probably wont happen though. I'm hoping to get this cycle done in two weeks. Think its possible?

Also, temperature is at 80

young_cichlid
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
get a bluegill and it will happen. or get some one and only.

jackson17
04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Don't think my aquarium sells them

young_cichlid
04-09-2009, 05:41 PM
google it and buy em online.

jackson17
04-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok, i went to the LFS and asked for a used sponge for my filter and well, they gave me one! thumbs2: I put in the place of my original sponge and threw the original to just float around the tank.

Think this will help?

Sharon
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Definitelythumbs2: ....Keep the Ammonia at 5ppm, until Nitrites peak. Then reduce Ammonia to 3ppm, until Nitrates show. Change water to reduce Nitrates to below 20ppm. Add fish....EASY!!! This should all occur quickly with the cycled media....

jackson17
04-09-2009, 09:15 PM
How long you think? I accidentally added to much pure ammonia and it was reading around 8ppm

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2009, 09:17 PM
get a bluegill and it will happen. or get some one and only.

Blue gills, trout, bass, pike, etc, are not tropical fish. Hardly any fish stores sell them, either, and they have to have a special license for selling them. You may be able to buy one online but do you really want to pay $49 for the shipping for one fish?

These fish are controlled by the DNR in most States and it's not even legal to keep them.

Sharon
04-09-2009, 09:23 PM
How long you think? I accidentally added to much pure ammonia and it was reading around 8ppm

With the used media, it may be instant. Check the Ammonia levels tomorrow to see if they've been converted to Nitrites...If it were me, I think I'd do a water change to get the Ammonia down to 5ppm. If Ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm in 24 hours, you're set to go...

I can only assume you're ignoring the Bluegill advice...

jackson17
04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Ya lol, i want tropical fish and legal fish lol. Im running a test now and depending on what it comes back as I will probably change the water.

young_cichlid
04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Blue gills, trout, bass, pike, etc, are not tropical fish. Hardly any fish stores sell them, either, and they have to have a special license for selling them. You may be able to buy one online but do you really want to pay $49 for the shipping for one fish?

These fish are controlled by the DNR in most States and it's not even legal to keep them.
i know THAT but they ARE nice fish

young_cichlid
04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Ya lol, i want tropical fish and legal fish lol. Im running a test now and depending on what it comes back as I will probably change the water.
hey, their legal if you cach em and can survive 82 degrees THATS tropical

jackson17
04-09-2009, 11:04 PM
lol I don't really fish...My ammonia levels are still pretty high for having a used media sponge and my old one in the tank still, any thoughts?

bushwhacker
04-10-2009, 01:38 AM
8ppm will probably kill any bacteria ya got do some water changes

jackson17
04-10-2009, 01:41 AM
8ppm will probably kill any bacteria ya got do some water changes

I did a water change after I put the filter sponge in, but I can't do one right now because I ran out of my dechlorinator

jackson17
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Ammonia seems to be ''stuck'' at 4ppm
Nitrite is reading 0-.25ppm
NitrAte is reading at 20-40ppm

Any ideas about why the ammonia is still very high?

Fraoch
04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Any ideas about why the ammonia is still very high?

Perhaps the high ammonia did kill off the bacteria...:scry: