PDA

View Full Version : how many

shalafi04
04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
how many discus can go in an 80 gal tank.

young_cichlid
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
i would say about 4-6 maybe 8.

shalafi04
04-10-2009, 12:17 AM
i would say about 4-6 maybe 8.

okay awesome, Glad I got something right finally, I was hoping for 6. :) 7 if I find another I cannot resist thumbs2:

Algenco
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
what's the dimensions of the tank?

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Big difference between 4 and 8.......like double.

Shala is going from goldfish to Discus. Yahooooo!

shalafi04
04-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Big difference between 4 and 8.......like double.

Shala is going from goldfish to Discus. Yahooooo!

Im not sure on the demensions.... its a work still in the thought process. And I'll still have my goldies. Im actually thinking, that when we get a house (by 2011) they are going to be turned into pond fish and then I'll have an empty 120 for the discus :) Sounds like a plan to me! :18:

Wiggs
04-10-2009, 01:26 AM
From what I've read and understand, I would say no more then 4 to start out, as the gallons per fish gets smaller the more likely you are to have problems.

TBH if it was me, due to the price of the fish and other factors, I would start with 2, possibly a pair if you can find them. That way you have a bit of a buffer to work with.

Dkarc
04-10-2009, 01:59 AM
General rule of thumb for discus is 1 fish per 10 gallons....which when they reach full adults is below other peoples 1" of fish per gallon of water. For most people I wouldnt stock much more than that recommendation due to ease of tank maintenance (anything more and maintenance on the tank will be increased).

-Ryan

btate617
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
General rule of thumb for discus is 1 fish per 10 gallons....which when they reach full adults is below other peoples 1" of fish per gallon of water. For most people I wouldnt stock much more than that recommendation due to ease of tank maintenance (anything more and maintenance on the tank will be increased).

-Ryan

So is it the same for a 2" discus and a 7" discus? both of those need 10 gallons of water? The 1" of fish per gallon of water works on maybe 5% of fish, noone should use that as a guide line.

Brian

SpyderSpy6
04-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a 75 gallon discus tank with live plants and 5 discus, and they have thrived amazingly. I'm debating on getting one more, but I'm not sure.

Dkarc
04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
So is it the same for a 2" discus and a 7" discus? both of those need 10 gallons of water? The 1" of fish per gallon of water works on maybe 5% of fish, noone should use that as a guide line.

Brian

That is used to ensure that when you buy a 2" discus, it wont outgrow the tank they are in if you stick with the 1 discus per 10 gallons. Yes, the tank will look a little bare when they're at 2" but it will fill in quickly if everything goes well. Its not to say that you cant have more discus in the same tank when they're 2", but for the average hobbyist 1 discus per 10 gallons is the industry standard.

-Ryan

alittlered
07-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I have a 55 gal with 67 fish in it, including 8 discus that are 6" and 2 that are 2" as long as your tankmates are quiet and your filtration is great you can have many fish in them (Have you ever noticed that fish stores have millions of fish in the tanks?)

I upgraded the filter from the "topfin 60" that came with my tank to a canister filter that when I calculated it cycles the water 9 times in an hour. I also directed the outlet flow so that it is only causing a stronger current in 1/3 of the tank, so my discus are happy and the stronger current loving fish (which are much smaller lol) are happy as well.

My tank is also a virtual forest of plants and has plenty of hiding spots for the cichlids and frontosas.

Crispy
07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Alittlered> you have discus, frontosas, and other cichlids in a 55 gallon?? people are going to pound you on this forum... I like to overstock myself, but this sounds crazy.
Any pics of the tank??

btate617
07-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Lord have Mercy.

And for Ryan even though this is from April. The one discus per 10gal isn't a good way to go either. An 8" round discus needs more than 10gallons of water. Not sure what discus industry standard you speak of, but I would try and find a new industry if I were you.

Brian