PDA

View Full Version : My Cory is dying!!!!

Ashley
04-09-2009, 12:12 AM
So I bought this cory on saturday and he was doing amazing I even have pictures posted of him and my Furcatas rainbow in an earlier thread. However, when I got home this evening and was going to feed him, he was just resting on the gravel breathing heavy. I checked my water and Ammonia is 0.1, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 0 (I have live plants), Ph is 7.6 (always has been). I haven't added anything new, and the rest of my fish are fine, and have been since I first got them which was 3 and a half weeks ago. I immediately did a 20% water change, and I also did a 20% water change lastnight (I do this every second day). I don't know what to do! He was so lively lastnight and is always swimming. However, I bought him as adult size, he is already 3-3.5 inches and he was alone in a crowded platy tank in the fish store (could this have anything to do with it?). I feel so horrible, my Furcatas made such good friends with him, but he doesn't look like he's going to make it through the night. :scry:

smaug
04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
having any ammonia at all is troubling.Cory dont do well with ammonia.

Sharon
04-09-2009, 12:17 AM
If the tank has not cycled, Corys will not do well. They need a cycled, stable tank...Sorry about your little guy.:scry:

Ashley
04-09-2009, 12:21 AM
I really wish I had known that before I purchased him! My fault completely. He's such a cute lil' guy, I feel so bad. I'm glad I know to wait now, I was going to get more corys for him in a week, but now I won't. before I added him the ammonia and every other toxin was at zero for a week, so I thought I was good to add more. when do I know I can add more fish?

Dixie
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I would say when ammonia and nitrites read 0 but have at least some reading of nitrate.

Ashley
04-09-2009, 01:14 AM
I feel so discouraged. I was just reading Lady Hobbs' sticky for cycling with fish and it says no bottom feeders when cycling, so I shall not get any bottom feeders until my tank is fully cycled. How do you know that a tank is fully cycled though? I'm very confused. Thanks for the help. My Cory just died, :( I'm also going to pick up some Tetra Safe Start tomorrow, I was only using Tetra AquaSafe with added biological boosters.

Northernguy
04-09-2009, 01:25 AM
A cycled tank reads ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates under 20ppm.

Sorry to hear about your cory!