PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Sick goldfish...

poler_28
04-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I need some help here...
I have 1 calico fantail in a 20 gallon tank. All water parameters are good, 0 everything...I do a 30 % water change weekly. He's been a wonderful little fish.
However, I recently fell victim to the "please, mom...just 1 more little one!". So, we added a very small calico (he's about 1" total length) to the tank about 1 week ago.
A few days ago, I noticed that the larger fish had very faint reddish blotches on his sides...eating and behaving normally.
Today, I noticed that he's hanging out more in the bottom corner and that he seems tired. The redness is more apparent and there is redness at the base of his side flippers (sorry, don't know the anatomy). When he's floating in the water, he almost seems to be slowly sinking. I've also noticed him flashing just a few times.
I was doing some research and it said this might be hemorrhagic septicemia.
The other fish seems fine and is acting very normal.

My questions are:
What type of treatment is the best way to handle this, since this is usually a symptom of an underlying issue?
Is there any chance for survival?
And do you think the new fish brought this into the tank?

smaug
04-09-2009, 12:04 AM
what type test kit are you using?Dip or liquid drops?

Algenco
04-09-2009, 12:15 AM
0 everything? no nitrates?

AABatteries
04-09-2009, 12:45 AM
2 goldfish in a 20g = a mess in the future. I would hesitate to keep even one in a 20g.

No clue what could be wrong with him. Not very good at IDing anything. xD

saix88
04-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Could be flukes or Trichodina

labnjab
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Is the red around his gills too? Sounds like ammonia poisoning, but I'm far from an expert. Are you sure your parameters are right?

Like AA said, 2 faintails in a 20 spells trouble in the future. I foresee an upgrade in the near future to at least a 40 gallon.

poler_28
04-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Oops, sorry, I am using the API liquid tests, and my trates are usually 10-20. I am confident that my testing is accurate. I am in the process of cycling a 29g. and it's all reading correctly.

I also know that 2 goldies in a 20 isn't good, but I was planning a bigger tank for them.

There is no inflammation around the gills at all. The red blotches are at the base of his abdomen(where the egg shape of his belly meets the beginning of his tail) There is also some blotches on the back of the tissue around his eyes. There is no visible parasites or white spots...he look normal, besides the blotches. I just tried feeding, and he eats like a champ, but I can definately tell he's uncomfortable and flashing more. I feel terrible...I don't know what's causing this so I don't know what to treat him with.

In retrospect: I haven't noticed much, if any, feces from him. Maybe he was constipated and stressed from that and when I added the new fish, he was already weakened and the new fish contaminated the tank?
If this is septicemia....is it inevitable that the other one will get it too?

poler_28
04-09-2009, 02:36 PM
New Development:

Today I can now see what looks like a few white spikes coming out of the skin. I'm pretty sure this is a parasite?

poler_28
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Ok...so I THINK it's anchor worms.
The treatment protocol is Dimilin or Potassium Permanganate, which is better?
Should I also treat for a secondary infection? If so, what would be the best thing to use? Any salt recommended?

saix88
04-09-2009, 10:46 PM
"Treatment:The anchor worm can be removed with tweezers from the infected fish, the bloody spot dipped once with iodine or hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab, and then daily application of neosporin creme. If the anchor worm is on a newly aquired fish in quarantine, thats mostly all thats needed. If the whole tank is infected, additional measures are asked for. Medications like Dimillin or Program as well as other readily available remedies are neccessary in that case. Anchors Away can be used, and has (Dimillin)Diflubenzuron as main ingredient. Salt is great as well.

Precautions:Even though the visible anchor worm might be removed, there is still a good chance that there are larvae in the tank, especially if the tank is heavily infested. Before the anchor worm can be seen,damage could already be done to the gills and skin of the fish. Secondary infections from the open wound are also possible, so a round of medicated food is a good idea.

Medications that can help: Life Bearer, Anchors Away, Dimilin, and Parasite Clear"

poler_28
04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Saix,
I decided to treat w/ Parasite Clear, and they didn't have any Maracyn2 when I went to the LFS, but I got some Melafix. He looks very much improved, but we aren't out of the woods yet. I may have to end up using the Maracyn2, but I wanted to give the Melafix a chance to work.

poler_28
04-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Update:
The red blotches are definately going away!! And there aren't any anchor worms to be seen!!

But, I've read that for Hemorrhagic Septicemia, the only treatment that has worked was Maracyn 2. Now, since I'm using Melafix and the red blotches are going away, is it safe to say that it's working and that I may not have to use the Maracyn? Of course I will keep dosing as the package says.

I'm hoping I nursed this little one out of it!! YAY! *fingers crossed*