PDA

View Full Version : Educational opportunity at library.

ChromeLibrarian
04-08-2009, 10:49 PM
The library I run has always had an aquarium in the kid's room (since I took over, at least). Until recently, we had a palludarium with fire-bellied toads. Unfortunately, the tank started leaking and we didn't have a spare tank. Tank leaking water + books = bad news, so we had to rehouse the toads. Now I am getting ready to reintroduce wildlife to the kid's room.

We were given a pair of ten gallon tanks and some assorted gear. One tank for show, one tank for emergency measures. Plus I have some stuff at home. I had originally planned to use either an Aquaclear 70 filter (turned down), or a Whisper 40i, both of which I had. This morning, the person who gave us the tanks gave us a pair of used Whisper 10i filters. Perfect for what I want to do, I think.

First step, set up tank with just some water, the filters, and a sign to get the kid's attention...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ChromeLibrarian/crabs001s.jpg

In a week or so, I'll add some substrate to the tank.

The next week some plants and a piece of wood or a rock so the crabs can get out of the water.

After that, I'll start cycling the tank. Each step will be accompanied by signs to explain what we are doing and why.

Eventually, when it's all set up and cycled, I'll add a pair of crabs, one at a time (the tank should be big enough for two crabs, do you think?).

When it's all ready, we'll have a naming contest, and give a prize for the winning name.

Whattya think?

Red
04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
sounds good to me, kudos for doing this for the kids..

plantedlab
04-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Very cool! Good job. I thumbs2:

I really like the way you plan to present it to the kids and building the anticipation.

I don't know what subjects or level your teaching, but it's a great demo for understanding water chemistry, The nitrogen cycle, geology, biology, electricity, light... the list goes on.

ChromeLibrarian
04-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Oh, I don't teach. Not directly, anyway. I'm a librarian/director at a public library. We are the defacto school library for two different schools, though.

glarior
04-09-2009, 02:24 AM
That is a good thing to have!! Good Job!

Gemini
04-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Wow that sounds fabulolus!
Kudos for not taking the easy option of throwing a goldfish in there and being done with it.

ChromeLibrarian
04-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, the crab project is on hold for a short amount of time. Someone gave me a 20gallon tank this afternoon, so I'm going to use it to replace the 10 gallon I was going to use. That means a run to the LFS to pick up some gear.

I'd rather put the crabs in a 20g than a 10 g any day of the week.

ChromeLibrarian
08-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Update. I posted this pic in the other thread, but it is an update to this thread, as well.

Crabs are in the tank!

Here's a male eating algae off the drift wood.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ChromeLibrarian/fiddler-1.jpg