PDA

View Full Version : Flourite question

Chrona
02-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Is this stuff supposed to be all different colors? From the pictures I've seen, the original flourite should be basically an even shade of brown, but the stuff I have is various shades of yellow/red/brown/black.

xoolooxunny
02-24-2007, 07:45 AM
yes, after you wash it off, you have basically red brown and black. make sure you clean it well!! its like mud washing it off, but it makes for a very nice substrate bed, good source of iron for plants.

When I bought my bags, they were just reddish-brown. I was suprised at how different it looked after a good cleaning.

Happy planting!:thumb:

SouthernGal0682
02-24-2007, 02:50 PM
A couple of the stores here have two different colors of it. One bag starts off brownish and the other type starts off redish. I bought the brown kind but I haven't washed it yet so I don't know what it should look like after.

Chrona
02-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, I washed it off yesterday and let it dry completely. After adding it to the DRY tank and adding water slowly, there was virtually no cloudiness. However, as soon as I started mucking around trying to bury the plants, the water got pretty dirty. Being the idiot I am, I decided to add water clarifier, so now I have a nice even brown coating on all of my plants that will only come off with a scrubbing lol. Hopefully the stuff holding the particles breaks down after a while. Theres no way I'm gonna take them all out, wash, and replant them again. I have to admit though, this stuff looks really good. My new light fixture should be coming in next week, and I'll be rigging up my CO2 reactor, so hopefully I'll be on my way to a hairgrass lawn in a few weeks :)

I'll post some pics when all the junk settles down. I also added melafix as a preventative, which apparently clouds my water to no end.