PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking any reading ideas

bluebluecow
04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi all

I have always toyed with the idea of a nano reef, and get very tempted with some of the nano reef tanks at my LFS

But I need to research loads before I strat, treat me as a beguiner as I know its nothing like fw.

One of the things that I have read is that if you have Live rock and sand you dont need a filter, just something to provide currant, so no filter material???

See I am a beguinner. Also is it better to buy your water from your LFS or mix your own, Im thinking buy as you dont have to worry so much about differences??

When and if I decide to take the plunge I thinking of a tank big enough for 1 or 2 fish any recomendations I like the pj whatever they are. My hubby likes the peppermint shrimp

liz

Cameron
04-07-2009, 08:43 PM
you are correct about the live rock, you dont necessarily need live sand, because your sand will turn into live sand in time. You could get away with 1 to 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon, and some powerheads for filtration. It's better to make your own, you can mix it in a seperate container and balance everything right there and then and know its ok, also LFS water, depending if you really trust them, their quality could be bad because they could use cheap salts or cut corners one way or another, but thats for you to figure out. You could get a 20 gallon with two pajama cardinals, and a peppermint shrimp and some other inverts(clean up crew).

bluebluecow
04-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Thankyou for that very helpfull.

Im Looking at if I set up it being september time, maybe oct as that will give me lots of time to research it, and save up the money.

I am hoping to put it either in my bedroom or if I wait a little longer like this time next year, then It might go in my boys bedroom, as I could ask for a grant for it as I could use it as therapy for my little boy, He has Autism, and this years grant (we get a yearly grant) has gone on a sensory bedroom for him, think bubble tubes, projectors uv lights ect

He loves my tanks and spend ages lying and watching them espec the neons

Liz

travie
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Definitely go with the biggest tank you can afford and have room for. This will make it easier for you to maintain the tank. SW tank require almost daily checking especially in the beginning, which is the first several months.