PDA

View Full Version : First algae issue - how to clean off rocks?

Fraoch
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I set up my first tank in late January. This is the first appearance of green algae.

It's just starting, barely visible on a few spots on the tank walls and on a rock.

I was prepared for this, I have a "Mag-Float" http://www.magfloat.net/telas/pagina.php?id=4&idc=4 scraper. Reading around the forum, it works for light algae issues. It should be enough to take care of the very small amount of algae currently there.

However I'm getting little dots of algae on a white rock decoration. The rock is a little porous and it's on concave surfaces, I can't see how it would be possible to scrape it off. How do I get this off? Clean it with hot water? I don't want to use soaps and chemicals, I would be afraid to leave a residual on it. Also it looks slightly porous and could trap chemicals.

I believe the cause of the algae is rising nitrates. Right after my tank was cycled, nitrates stayed at 5, but my weekly water changes were probably too small (25%) and the introduction of new fish caused nitrates to accumulate faster. My last few tests showed nitrate at 10+, it has probably crept up higher than that. I did a big 50% WC last night, hopefully I'm on top of the nitrates now.

Sharon
04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I soak my rocks in a bleach solution, rinse well, and then they go back to the tank...

doug z
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
BBQ scraper (for aquarium only, of course).

Algenco
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
clean them with an unused tooth brush, pour peroxide over the rock and let stand for 5 minutes, rinse and put it back in the tank

Fraoch
04-13-2009, 06:30 PM
BTW I've got to say the Mag-Float worked really well. It required a few passes but did the trick. All I worry about is crushing a fish between the pieces, it is strong enough to pinch my finger badly, it would crush one of my poor little guys to death.:scry:

Haven't tackled the rock yet. It's looking pretty shabby by now...I really should get to it.

Slow Cheetah
04-18-2009, 03:17 AM
i have a magfloat too, works well. only have to use fingers on curves of the aquarium.

plastic plants and ornaments etc that are really badly covered in algae i suppose could be bleached in 1;20 solution, im pretty sure algenco gave me that advice, but that was for a particular strand of algae and may not be appropriate for yours.

i have used toothbrushs or similar to scrape algae or rocks before.

arcticgibs
04-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Also, if your tank is getting any sunlight, you will get algae.

MrJim
04-18-2009, 04:18 AM
I could lend you my two otos for a small fee~they'll take care of it for ya real quickthumbs2:

Fraoch
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I could lend you my two otos for a small fee~they'll take care of it for ya real quickthumbs2:

Heh heh I was thinking of this, or a pleco.

10 g is probably too small for either of them.:ssmile: Although aren't there small plecos? 3-4" or so?

thrakuarium
04-28-2009, 03:58 AM
leafy ornaments I soak and clean with a weak bleach solution. I have a lava rock cave that at some point I may have to soak, but currently since algae needs light to grow, if I see algae i flip the rock over. No light = dead algae.