PDA

View Full Version : shimp tank advice...

matthew.shelly
04-06-2009, 02:49 AM
so i want to set up my 2.5 gallon tank as a shrimp tank. I was going to use some regular gravel and some larger rocks for decor. I would use java moss both for decoration and as a filter (since I don't know of many filters that will fit well in a 2.5 gallon). I can get one of those small heater pads, but I read somewhere that Amano Shrimp can live comfortably in tanks without heater (like room temp water, 59-80ºF). I was wondering if this was true?
I was looking for some suggestions concerning basically anything in the tank. the shrimp, the decor, the equipment (or lack thereof)...

PUNISHER VETTE
04-06-2009, 02:55 AM
well i have a 2.5g shrimp tank...

It's got normal gravel, lots of obsidian rocks, and a ton of java moss temporarily right now.

Amano shrimp are big... much bigger then cherry shrimp. You might be happier if you had more smaller shrimp then Amano ,which are usually used to eliminate algae. although they still looks nice just not very colorful.

Mine however does have a small filter. Without it the water doesn't have any movement and a thin layer of yuck grows on top.

invadertoast
04-06-2009, 03:02 AM
I don't have a shrimp tank yet but I do have three 2.5 gallon betta tanks up and running with heaters and filtration. I use an Elite mini in one that works great but the current is kind of strong. In the other two tanks I use Tom's mini submersible filters, they come with alot of attachments for outflow so in my crowntail betta's tank I use a spraybar pointed to the rear of the tank so he doesn't have trouble swimming in the current. I know some people just use an air pump and a simple sponge filter too. I can't really help with your temperature questions. sorry!

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c213/Dive-Clean-Mini-Filter-p7171.html

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I've heard those heater pads can be very unreliable, I've been using mini tetra heats that I found at Wal Mart in my small tanks and so far they've been great and kept the temp constant.

matthew.shelly
04-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Amano shrimp are big... much bigger then cherry shrimp. You might be happier if you had more smaller shrimp then Amano ,which are usually used to eliminate algae. although they still looks nice just not very colorful.

Mine however does have a small filter. Without it the water doesn't have any movement and a thin layer of yuck grows on top.

cherry shrimp would be awesome too. what kind of filter is it?

PUNISHER VETTE
04-06-2009, 03:44 AM
cherry shrimp would be awesome too. what kind of filter is it?

It's just a tiny Aquaclear.
I've got a piece of netting on the intake to keep the shrimp from getting sucked in.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19169/si1378649/cl0/aquaclear30powerfilter

matthew.shelly
04-06-2009, 04:28 AM
neat. do you do water changes very often? is there anything special you feed them? other than algea wafers?

Gemini
04-06-2009, 06:08 AM
I keep cherry shrimp and I feed them algae rocks, and once/twice per week they get a tiny bit of crushed up Hikari Crab Cuisine. Otherwise they are eating dead plants and the algae on the glass (well keeping algae off the glass really...)
Algae rocks - rocks from the community tank that get covered in algae! thumbs2:
Shrimp need an established tank - as for water changes my tank is quite heavily planted especially for the bioload so I monitored nitrates for awhile to see what they were doing and they don't show. So I just take out about 25% every fortnight and top it up with water that has sat with dechlor for over 12 hours.

matthew.shelly
04-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Shrimp need an established tank - as for water changes my tank is quite heavily planted especially for the bioload so I monitored nitrates for awhile to see what they were doing and they don't show. So I just take out about 25% every fortnight and top it up with water that has sat with dechlor for over 12 hours.

thanks for the insight. that's pretty much what i plan on doing, heavily plant it with java moss and do 20-25% water changes every 2 weeks. ill be sure to have the tank fully cycled and situated before i add any shrimp. how many do you think i could comfortable house in a 2.5 gallon?
the algae rocks are a cool idea.thumbs2: however, i dont think ill have another tank set up at the time to produce them.:scry:

Gemini
04-06-2009, 07:01 AM
thanks for the insight. that's pretty much what i plan on doing, heavily plant it with java moss and do 20-25% water changes every 2 weeks. ill be sure to have the tank fully cycled and situated before i add any shrimp. how many do you think i could comfortable house in a 2.5 gallon?
the algae rocks are a cool idea.thumbs2: however, i dont think ill have another tank set up at the time to produce them.:scry:
You can produce the algae rocks in any water holding container, and sunshine. Dave66 did a great article http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=17270&highlight=algae about halfway down Green Algae. Works great as another option!!
As for shrimpy numbers it will depend on the size of the shrimp. Cherrys you could have I think an easy 25 shrimp in a 2.5G. As long as it's filtered, planted etc.
I find Amano shrimp a bit blah - cherry shrimp, crystal red shrimp, bee shrimp - there's lotsa different shrimp that are nice cololurs. But depending on where you live they might be $$$. Look on Craigslist and local forums to see if you can get some. Cherry shrimp for example breed very easily so you may be able to get some cheaper from a private owner.
Good luck shrimp tanks are fun thumbs2:

matthew.shelly
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
As for shrimpy numbers it will depend on the size of the shrimp. Cherrys you could have I think an easy 25 shrimp in a 2.5G. As long as it's filtered, planted etc.

wow 25?!?:18: that's a lot more than i was expecting. im pretty excited about that. now that ive looked up some info on cherry shrimp, i really like the idea of having them. they look really cool. thanks for all the help!

PUNISHER VETTE
04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I started with 3 in my 2.5g. Now i'm up to about 20 with a few bigger ones and some babies.

Really i just add water once a week to keep it from getting too low. I did one water change once....but that was about it.

Wild Turkey
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
you could easily keep a hundred rcs in a 2.5 and you will probably have too if condition are good they wont stop breeding

Gemini
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
you could easily keep a hundred rcs in a 2.5 and you will probably have too if condition are good they wont stop breeding
Yeah I thought you could but wanted another opinion!!
Matt - I bought 10 and now have at least 30. Once they are comfy and happy and start breeding that's it. They keep on going!! I love them - they are easy to care for but I can stare at their tank for hours and hours watching them!!! Good luck and put up a pic when you can thumbs2:

Eileen
04-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I have Red cherry shrimp in a few tanks the smallest is 2 1/2 gal. I have fake floating plants and fake plants in the sand. Did you know that cherry shrimp will look darker in color if the gravel or sand is dark. They try to match the color in the tank. If you use light colors they will not get a deep red. I have black sand in mine and a black background.

I bought a (azoo palm filter) through drsfostersmith.com it's for small tanks up to 5 gal. it works like a canister filter. I cut out the back of the light fixture so that it would fit in my tiny 2 1/2 gal. tank and cut the plastic piece that goes over the tank top so that it would fit in the back. I also cut a bio sponge to put in the filter in front of where the water goes out.The tank came with a underground filter. I got rid of that. Since I put a few Red Cherry shrimps in that tank I've had tiny baby baby shrimp. I have a fine netting over the intake to the filter so the babies don't get sucked up. You can use panty hose and a rubber band also. Do not get Red cyrstal shrimp to start with as they are really fussy about the water and you might loose them and they are really expensive. Cherrys will run about $6 at the fish store. I got mine from a local lady on craigslist for $1 each.:fish: :fish: