PDA

View Full Version : Short Term Substitute on salt...

kaimarkhirst
04-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi,

have recently been jipped by the local pet shop as I was told that the Silver Tipped shark Catfish ive got a reof a freshwater nature. AND THEY ARE NOT!!!!

I love catfish, adn my dad kept them for 15 years and the 3 ive got are wonderful specimens.

My question is that im ipicking up some aquarium salts, later on tomorrow, am going to condition a 150G tank specially for my cats within th enext 6 weeks, but I need a very short term alternative to aquarium salts..

Read somewhere - bicarb of soda

Can anybody suggest???

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Brackish water needs to be created using Marine Salt. Depends on what brand you want, but you can get Reef Crystals, Instant Ocean, Oceanic, or any number of other salts out there, but just plain aquarium salt is not sufficient.

kaimarkhirst
04-05-2009, 03:47 PM
ok cool,

How would this apply to the other community residents If I added salt to create a slight brackish water to calm the cats down, til lthe 100G tanks is ready??

I dont want to lose these cats at all, but at the same time, dont want to compromise the rest of the tank as well..

thanks

james decruz
09-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Don't add bicarb, this will alter ph & kh of your water. You need marine salt not aquarium salt

MonkeyPox
09-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Post was from April...