PDA

View Full Version : New to the fish World

DCX1971
04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
How many Oscars can you put in a 10 gallon tank?

invadertoast
04-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Zero, they are messy fish and get very large.

Crispy
04-05-2009, 01:48 PM

if you look around this site, you'll see that oscars in anything less than a 55 is frowned upon. Even the 55 gallon for an oscar is not very suitable.

mommy1
04-05-2009, 01:49 PM
zero oscars in a ten gallon. welcome to AC. :22: glad you're here.

Northernguy
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Definately the wrong question to ask a serious fish forum.I hope its just a sad joke!
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

KcEE
04-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Hello and welcome to the AC!

I agree with everyone else here! Zero Oscars in a 10G.

Jellygirl
04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the forum.

If you are like me, a newbie who made a few mistakes on the outset of fishkeeping well thank goodness that you have sought the advice of a fourm and asked a sensible question first. Needless to say your question has been answered.

Hopefully you will take the advice given on this forum seriously. I just wish I had found a forum before I ventured into fishkeeping rather than feel the need for help as some of my fish were dying without my knowing why.

You will always be given good advice on this friendly forum unlike the fishshop owner who tends to look after his profit margin first.

Enough said - welcome to the forum and look forward to reading your posts as you set up your aquarium and choose your fish.thumbs2:

escamosa
04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
G'day, enjoy your time at AC.:22: thumbs2:

Red
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Welcome :)

Brookfish
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the Forum. :22:

Kaz
04-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Well it all depends on how much ammonia you can afford. If you're willing to put in several spoon fulls daily and change heaters every week you could have a healthy school of 15.2 oscars. Remember oscars only eat natural algae so you would have to place the tank in direct sunlight.

If you're willing to put a few less Oscars in there I would suggest adding either guppies, plecos or bettas. They all make great tank mates, though remeber that bettas MUST be kept in pairs: 2 males, ALWAYS.

Sounds like a great tank, I'd love to see pics.

troy
04-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Well it all depends on how much ammonia you can afford. If you're willing to put in several spoon fulls daily and change heaters every week you could have a healthy school of 15.2 oscars. Remember oscars only eat natural algae so you would have to place the tank in direct sunlight.

If you're willing to put a few less Oscars in there I would suggest adding either guppies, plecos or bettas. They all make great tank mates, though remeber that bettas MUST be kept in pairs: 2 males, ALWAYS.

Sounds like a great tank, I'd love to see pics.
That is all completely false. I sure hope what you said is a joke.

Kaz
04-06-2009, 01:27 AM
It was; there is absolutely no way anybody could be so misinformed that they would try to put 1/5 of a fish in a tank. Normally I would hold the joke for longer but I didn't want people to hate me too much.

The person who posted the question almost certainly meant a joke considering there is no personal info in their profile and they posted a question in the introduction thread. Also the nature of the question: most people do at least an iota of reseach before joining a forum.

But yes it 'twas a joke: only 3.14 oscars can be kept in any tank regardless of size.:hmm3grin2orange:

sid101
04-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the AC!

I recomend you read the free ebook (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html).