PDA

View Full Version : Male To Female Ratio?

s72450
04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm doing up a stocking plan for my 55 gallon and would like some Green Tiger Barbs for my tank. I'm curious what is a good number for this size of tank and what is a good ratio. I've always heard that you need so many females or the males will constantly fight.

Current stocking plan for the tank is as follows...

2 Blood Parrots
2 Gourami (Not Sure On Type)
10-12 Albino cory catfish
4 Otos (In the future, will probably wait a few months)
1 Small Pleco

Suggestions on number and ratio are welcome and any other ideas for fish that would go well with this stocking list.

jaysee
04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I have 6 small ones in a 10 gallon - 3 and 3. I never see any fighting or any signs of fighting. I think I read somewhere that they are fine 1:1 as long as you have at least 6.

For the cherry barbs, I have 2 males and 3 females and the males are always in color.

Tigers are notorious fin nippers so you'll need to keep a school so that they can harrass each other and not the other fish.

How about a knife fish?

gm72
04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
How about a knife fish?

Not in a 55 depending on the type.

jshoemaker
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Jaysee,

How do you have the time to keep up with all those tanks? Do you have a rythm you get into or a secret that keeps them healthier longer without water changes/testing?

Also, what do you do on vacation? lol, curious cause I might be having the same problem.

And are you a marine biologist, I saw you put that on your profile

jaysee
04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Once you're used to having a few, additional tanks are easy. I do them all one after another - each is on the same schedule. I don't manipulate my water, so the water in all my tanks is the same. And I have fake plants. I don't test my water unless I have a reason to. I do two 25% water changes a week, so my tank water doesn't stray too far from the tap. I wouldn't have the time if it weren't for the python and as I've said before, it's the single most important piece of equipment I have.

I usually go away for 3 or 4 days at a time, so I don't change my routine - They just don't eat for a few days. If I go away for a week or more, I make sure my tanks with crayfish are stocked with ghost shrimp (so they don't nibble on my fish) and have someone feed the fish once or twice. There is far more harm from overfeeding than underfeeding for that time. I have a friend who I trust to feed and do water changes if I would have to be away for longer.

I'm not a marine biologist - think I said I always wanted to be one. I do work on a fishing boat though, so I'm sorta in the field:ssmile:

gm72
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree. Once you top about 6 tanks it just becomes a though of "what's one more?"

jaysee
04-29-2009, 01:18 AM
And once people know you have several aquariums, they start offering you theirs!

copper_eos
05-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks Jaysee being a newbie tank owner I feel better knowing I'm doing something right because I'm following the same steps you are (fake plants, water changes, not treating the water). Seems to be working. I only have two tanks though. My own and one that was entrusted to be to take care of. They all seem to be doing good :ssmile: Maybe I'll have 5 tanks someday too :1luvu: