PDA

View Full Version : betta has fin rot

Cantra
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I have a half moon betta... he is in a one gallon tank. his tail used to be pretty long and now its about 1/3 to 2/4's the size it used to be and his other fins are starting to disappear as well. I've been doing a 25% water change every day with a 50% change each weekend. I want to get meds for him but my father refuses to take me to get the meds... is there anything else i can do it keeps getting worse and i really feel like a bad caretaker

Sharon
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Try doing a 50% water change every day, and try and talk Dad into, at least, some Melafix. One of my Bettas had tail rot that was very persistant. I used Melafix for weeks, with break periods in between treatments. The tail rot continued. I gave up, in frustration, and continued to give him regular large water changes. His tail is now perfect!

Cantra
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
I'll try that thanks... I've been trying to get my dad to get me something ever since I noticed his tail going away and all he says is that its a two dollar fish and that if it dies he'll get me another one... he doesn't want to spend anymore money on my fish when he's going to buy me a 30 gallon saltwater tank for a graduation present in just a few months but I've got money to pay for the meds i just need a way to go and get the meds and he won't take me

Sharon
04-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, he may just clear up with really clean water...you never know. :ssmile: The fact that it's progressing may mean it will be more difficult to clear up....

Have you explained to your Dad that getting a replacement is not as good as keeping the present one healthy...

Cantra
04-03-2009, 07:24 PM
yes i did and he still won't do anything to help. I'm out of town this weekend and if he still doesn't let me get anything by next weekend then i am going to get my boyfriend to get it for me

Z Fish Man
04-03-2009, 08:13 PM
You should ask your dad if he can put a price on peace of mind lol.

Cantra
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
he actually let me get something called bettafix for him but does that work? I've never had to use meds on a fish and I know that meds usually don't help me at all and thats why I'm wondering.

Betta Newbie
04-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to bettas. I also have a male betta who seems to have a similar problem. At first he had a tiny white fungus type thing on the end of his tail. I had minnows and a danio in the tank and they were nipping him so I took them back to the pet shop. I've been keeping the water clean and recently got him a girlfriend and installed a water heater that's at 28C. Tonight I noticed how much his fins have lost and although the white fungus went fairly quickly, I'm worried for him. I've also heard that the Primafix is too strong for bettas. I'd be very grateful for any advice. Many thanks,

Sharon
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Male and female Bettas cannot be kept together.......