PDA

View Full Version : Amonia and Nitrite Levels

kaimarkhirst
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi,

Have been doing tests on the water after a small ammonia spike (max spike 1.2ppm) Which is now down to practically nothing at all (0.1) however the nitrite spike to 4.0, adn have been doing 40% water changes for the past 48 hours, adding salts to lower it to 1.0, but want to lower this to practically zero.

Tank is 100 gallon with a total of 36 fish in it. Has been fully cycled, however the filter sponge has been washed in tap water, and all the bateria and work thats been done has gone.
Have not lost any fish yet, and, they are all ok so far.

Will continue to do water changes for another week at least or so, but want to know how to decrease it with aquarium salts, or starter chemicals or so.

Any suggestions?

Northernguy
04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
No chemicals are needed.Keep doing the water changes to remove ammonia and nitrites.You could get some Tetra Safe Start.It will help out your cycle.
Its a bacteria boost that works.

Wiggs
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Adding Chemicals that claim to cycle your tank or eliminate toxins does more harm then good in most cases.

Continue with keeping a close eye on the parameters and keeping up with water changes as needed.

Wild Turkey
04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Adding Chemicals that claim to cycle your tank or eliminate toxins does more harm then good in most cases.

The chemicals that claim to lower harmful levels chemically are bull. Most of them just mess with readings, however, the bacteria cultures (which claim to cycle tanks) are well worth it if you are fish cycling (you are).

That being said, the tank isnt fully cycled, but will be soon when that nitrite is gone. Test it daily and water change it down to around 1.0ppm or below.

Dont add salt, the salt is just stressing the fish. If you want ensure a speedy nitrite/nitrate process, run an air stone.

Wiggs
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
The chemicals that claim to lower harmful levels chemically are bull. Most of them just mess with readings, however, the bacteria cultures (which claim to cycle tanks) are well worth it if you are fish cycling (you are).

Which is why i said "claim" ;) didnt want him thinking he could just add that and have it easy...

Wild Turkey
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Which is why i said "claim" ;) didnt want him thinking he could just add that and have it easy...

I think you missed what i meant, im saying the statement was half true.

Bacteria cultures are harmless, and you cant overdose, so how could they do more harm than good, ever?
But, the chemical additives like ammo-lock, "cycle"(old kind), etc are mostly bull and usually do nothing or mess with readings.

kaimarkhirst
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
ok ok. No argiuing.

Correct in a re-cycling after the mess up with the filter.

Have taken the carbon out of the filter, and it is steadily reducing down to lower than 1.0, but ill keep on looking at this.

Ill be picking up some tetra start today, and am running 2 air stones 24 hours.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks ladies and gents

Wild Turkey
04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
ok ok. No argiuing.

Correct in a re-cycling afte rthe mess up with the filter.

Have taken the carbon out of the filter, and it is steadily reducing down to lower than 1.0, but ill keep on looking at this.

Ill be picking up some tetra start today, and am running 2 air stones 24 hours.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks ladies and gents

We arent arguing, just clarifying what we mean for the readers sake. :D

The only suggestion i have otherwise is leave out the carbon, and replace it with a media of your choice. Charcoal isnt worth running unless you change it out monthly and have some other type of media as well imo

Northernguy
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Wiggs I don't use Amo lock or any other additive thats suppose to rid my tanks of toxins.I do like the Tetra Safe Start though. It is proven to work and has helped out quite a few members gain control of their cycle.
Don't knock it till you try it!:hmm3grin2orange:

Wiggs
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Wiggs I don't use Amo lock or any other additive thats suppose to rid my tanks of toxins.I do like the Tetra Safe Start though. It is proven to work and has helped out quite a few members gain control of their cycle.
Don't knock it till you try it!:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh no, I use the same thing.

I was meaning the products such as Turkey said, the ones that claim to make Ammonia and all that just "disappear".

kaimarkhirst
04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Cool,

What media would you suggest??

Cheers

Kai

Lady Hobbs
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Salt does not lower nitrites but it will help with the gill function for the fish. Those nitrites are probably at the spike stage and will suddenly drop. Those water changes are helping more than anything at this stage.

Where is the media you are trying to cycle with? Remove it and you loose your cycle like you did cleaning it. Leave it alone.

Wild Turkey
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Cool,

What media would you suggest??

Cheers

Kai

Sponge, floss, biomax, ceramics, sintered glass are all the main stream medias.

kaimarkhirst
04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
ok cool.

Have a sponge in the carriage of the filter, so that will do. It did have carbon in the centre of this, but have removed it. Any advantages of replacing this carbon with charcoal??

Cheers

Kai

Wild Turkey
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Activated charcoal/carbon is the same thing. Just stuff more sponge media into the spot where the carbon used to sit.

Regular charcoal is just leftover carbon from a fire, so thats why you'll hear people call it both. Activated charcoal (what u use in ur tank) bonds to anything and everything, thats why they pump you full of it if you are Oding/alergic reactions/ etc

kaimarkhirst
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
morning guys,

Right then. To give you an update, ive been doing 40-50% water changes, taken the carbon out and not replaced it yet. (Not sure if I will, is there an advantage to putting it back in?? Suggestions would be great...) and the nitrite levels are hovering around the .25 and the .5... Ill be still doing water changes for at least one week or so until itl be stable at .1...

Unfortunately ivve not been able to locate sone tetra start, but bought some stress Zyme from API. Its basically the same thing.

Dunno if its working well, but nto lost a fish, they look more comfortable, but the silver shark catfish are still circling and hovering around the top of the tank. Not as much as before, but still enough for me to question whether this is an abnormal behavour or just their thing.

So there it is. Anybody got any suggestions, as to how I can speed this process up?

Cheers

Lady Hobbs
04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Bacteria must grow and it does not grow in a heartbeat. You can help make that tank a bit safer while it grows which is what the stress zyme may help with but trying to get a 6 week cycle to grow in 2 weeks is impossible and gives you an unstable cycle that could crash at any time.

Since you are using stress zyme, I would not use the carbon.

You mentioned your tank was cycled but I can't see how it could have been. Sounds to me as you are going thru an entire cycle with the high ammonia levels and now high nitrites, as well. You have a whole lot of fish in that tank plus lost all your established bacteria by washing it out in tap water but you still would have had established bacteria in your gravel and on other hard surfaces. In other words, you lost a lot of bacteria but still should have had quite a bit of it in a gravel bed in a 100 gallon tank.

Just be careful now that you do no vacuuming of that gravel and feed those fish sparingly. It can take a couple weeks for nitrites to decide to drop.

Lady Hobbs
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
And stop messing with your filter media. It can not grow bacteria if you keep washing it or changing it or removing it.

kaimarkhirst
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
cheers mate, its dropping nicely as the ammonia is at 0.1 and has been stable at this for 4 days now, and the nitrite is at .25 and is coming down.

So its looking good. The other issue is that its not gravel its fine sand and I suspect that this is not storing as much bateria as gravel or flourite.

KAi