PDA

View Full Version : South American Lungfish

Glasstapper
02-23-2007, 06:10 AM
I had never seen one of these before until today! I can tell you one thing: they are definitely strange looking! I went to my favorite LFS this afternoon, and as always, I took a browse around their tanks. I passed by one of their larger tanks, then I had to do a double take. What the heck was THAT?! I looked up at the little sticker, and it said "South American Lungfish $299" Whoa!!

Looking at the guy, I'd say it was easily 15 to 20 inches long. It wasn't moving at all, though, and looked to be a very very pale gray color. It was also awkwardly setting in the tank with it's face propped up in the corner near the surface of the water. The eyes were also a grey color and seemed to be weird looking (after I found the eyes. it took me a minute. haha) I couldn't even tell if it was dead or alive because even when I put my hand on the glass by it's face, it still didn't move.

Has anyone ever seen one of these before? Was I looking at a sick or dying fish (or already dead) or is that just what they do? Are they supposed to just "play dead"? I've always gotten my live fish from this place because they are privately owned and take very good care of all of their tanks including quarantining new and/or diseased fish so that people don't buy them. I'd hate to think they have killed such a strange and obviously rare creature.

What do you think?

Rue
02-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I've only seen pics, but I agree...very cool!

I doubt they'd kill him...not unless something went terribly wrong...

noebyus
05-07-2008, 02:45 AM
hahaha It wasn't dead! They just don't like light that much, so during daytime they stay quite still . I actually have one, I bought it last month. It is still young,so it isn't gray yet and is only 8inches. It's black with small yellow dots, quite beautiful actually ^^ During night he is very active. Right now he is swimming around the tank, making gracious turns. And you should see him when I give him earthworms!
If I learn how to, I'll add some pics so you can see him.

:) Bye!

noebyus
05-07-2008, 02:51 AM
here we are! Some pictures of my lungfish ^^ Hope you like him!

Drumachine09
05-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Great pics, but this topic is 15 months old :X

cocoa_pleco
05-07-2008, 02:58 AM
over a year old thread

Rue
05-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Neat! Gnarly too! :4:

noebyus
05-07-2008, 03:24 AM
so? I think it's nice for anyone to know about the SAL anyway, even when the one who post it for the first time never gets to read it.

sorry ¬¬