PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 way Planted Tank

Jakaris
02-23-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm in the process of converting my tank into a planted one, but since its hard (and expensive) to find good plants up here in georgia, its only 1/2 done, and the more obtrussive hard decorations are still in there. I'm also looking to add a small white, black, or koi angelfish. I would have picked up a beautiful one when i bought those plants, but I was going to be a long time in getting home and I didn't want to risk it.
Now a question. Any recommendations as to a good "grass" plant? Something to cover the bottom foreground of the tank. I've seen very little in stores, but I would like to get something good if I see it.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2707/tank012vw5.th.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tank012vw5.jpg)

Current Inhabitants:
2 Pink Kissers (Kissing Gouramis)
4 Corydoras catfish (going to be given away soon, they never make an appearance and only add to the waste.
2 Flame Tetras (survivors)
4 Harlequin Rasboras (also survivors)
1 Rainbow Shark (bigger tank waiting if he gets big, or the Kissers do)
1-3 Ghost Shrimp (don't know how many have been eaten, I know theres 1 thouch cause I'm looking at him as I type)

Chrona
02-23-2007, 02:48 AM
How much light/gallon do you have?

Wait, are those plastic?

Jakaris
02-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Heh, no they arent plastic... I don't know if thats a good or bad thing, are they too good or too bad looking? :D
As for lighting, the light currently on there is a 17 watt, but the main source of light comes from the 8+ hours of sunlight it gets. Its a b**ch with algae, but worth it. Forgot to mention, I also have a 4" pleco in there, once he gets too big my friend has a 200 gallon he can go into.

Chrona
02-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Heh, no they arent plastic... I don't know if thats a good or bad thing, are they too good or too bad looking? :D
As for lighting, the light currently on there is a 17 watt, but the main source of light comes from the 8+ hours of sunlight it gets. Its a b**ch with algae, but worth it. Forgot to mention, I also have a 4" pleco in there, once he gets too big my friend has a 200 gallon he can go into.

Ah, yes. They look very good, almost too good, which is why I was thinking plastic plants lol. If it gets that much direct sunlight, most carpet plants will work great. Dwarf hairgrass, microswords are both easy. You probably don't want to use java moss with that much light. You can also try glosso, which looks better than the rest imo, but it's a bit harder to grow.

Jakaris
02-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks, if I see any (or all) of those I'll pick some up. And yeah, those plants cost me a LOT, and I had to look near the back of the plant tank to find good ones, but their worth it.

xoolooxunny
02-23-2007, 04:34 AM
i would suggest microsword grass as well, but judging by your substrate, i would recommend fertilizer, maybe tabs that go into the gravel instead of the liquid kind for the water since you already have an algae problem.

sergo
02-23-2007, 04:39 AM
i like it. i think it would be cool to see a grass or moss growing all over the decorations. i would do it myself but i have lighting issues right now. :(

cocoa_pleco
02-23-2007, 05:07 AM
let me guess, is that a marineland bio-wheel filter? i can tell by the intake tube

Rue
02-23-2007, 01:34 PM
...one thing...I've been researching planted tanks and tank design...

You might want to plant groupings of plants rather than have them scattered ...for example, take your acoris and group them in the back...

Keep the taller plants in the back and the put the shorter ones in front, and make sure you have enough clear spaces just for swimming without interruption...

How much were your plants? Here, a bunch of the common ones is 2-4 dollars...with pots being more expensive...7+ dollars...and some 'rare' stuff upwards of 35...

...but the cabomba, acoris, elodea should all be quite inexpensive...

Jakaris
02-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, its a Penguin Biowheel 150. Good for 30 gallons and I have a 26 gallon. If it got really bad in there I have filters for 10 and 20 gallons I could add.
The plants (all but the acoris were added at once) cost me around 15$ total. Its getting harder to find good plants too, especially since the fish stores around here seem to be getting int othe craze of plants in tubes. ONE 12" (not really, but thats what it SAYS) plant costs 10$!!!! And the only thing they say positive is that their "snail free", but they aren't.
I'll try to find those tabs, but generally I only find the liquid. The algae problem isn't so bad now that I have the Pleco and the Rainbow Shark.

That brings up another question. Would the angel I mentioned do okay in my tank? Proportion-wise and inches-gallon wise its okay, but would the rainbow shark do well with it, sicne its the only thing new in there? I've seen some thigns that say to be cautious, some that warn against it, and some that say their the best of friends. So anyone whos had personal or 2d/3d person experience with this particular problem would be a great help to me. I'm going out tonight, so before then would be preferable.