PDA

View Full Version : water changes in cycling

Puff Daddy
04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
i read the pinned faq above about cycling and it said to use dechlorinated water. is that a must? if so, how do i get dechlorinated water?

ko4000
04-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes dechlorinated water is a MUST!!!! Using regular tap water will kill off all bacteria colonies you are trying to grow. Go to your LFS and pick up some Stress Coat or AquaSafe water conditioner. Follow the directions on the bottle to dechlorinate your water.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2009, 11:02 PM
You fish will be dead in minutes, as well. Chlorine is added to tap water to purify it for our use. Clorine is bleach and must be neutralized for fish.

Puff Daddy
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
thank you, i was just really confused for a bit.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I see from your introduction this is a 10 gallon tank. Read about cycling in my signature before getting more fish.

Puff Daddy
04-06-2009, 08:22 AM
for the past week i have been doing 20% water changes, keeping the ammonia levels below 1.0. I have been using stress coat to dechlorinate the water. the only thing I'm wondering is. . . is the water dechlorinated a few minutes after I put the stress coat in or do I have to wait some time? I've been adding stress coat to the water and then throwing it in the tank after about ten minutes.

escamosa
04-06-2009, 08:40 AM
The stresscoat works very quickly to remove chlorine, no need to let the water stand, but it doesn't do any harm to leave it stand for a while to make sure it does it's job. I usually fill my bucket and add the stresscoat and leave it stand for a while.thumbs2: