PDA

View Full Version : Plan for my tank...

Ashley
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, since my 30 gallon tank is in the cycling stages, I have had lots of time to think about what I want to add to my tank. This is what I am thinking for the weeks to come.

currently I have 4 gold cloud minnows, 1 furcata rainbow and 1 cherry shrimp.

I am thinking I am going to add 3 more gold cloud minnows to make a larger school.

Then I want 2-3 otto cats

Then another school of fish. Not sure exactly what kind of schooling fish I will get, any suggestions are welcome. I like the looks of schools swimming together.

I may also get another cherry shrimp, they are really cute to watch.

Northernguy
04-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Cardinal tetras like to school but so do most tetras.
Definately get another shrimp.
I would wait for algae to build up before adding otos.

Ashley
04-05-2009, 12:33 PM
ok, so I had an impulse buy and bought a 3 inch cory yesterday, so, I need to change up my tank plans!

now I am thinking:

3 cherry shrimp
6 Gold Cloud Minnows
4-5 cory cats (does it matter if they are all the same species of corys?)
my one furcata rainbow (who loves catfish! check my other posts to see why)
then I was thinking 6 black neon tetra, but perhaps that is pushing it?

Ashley
04-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I was going to get 2 dwarf gourami instead of the 6 black neon tetras, but not too sure the gourami will go well with what I already have, and I don't want any stressed fish!

Wild Turkey
04-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Different cory species will sometimes shoal, but they will happier with 6+ of their species. You could easily add those extra 6 tetras in a 30.
I would get more than 3 rcs tho, they are a group animal I'd start with at least ten and honestly, they do best with a species tank.

Ashley
04-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks! I don't mind getting more shrimp, I really like them. I think I'll add more shrimp and get the same species of catfish, and then the neons last, I'll just keep gradually adding to what I have, species wise!

Heliwyr
04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Shrimp are great, and since they barely have any bioload, you could probably load your tank with 50 of them and be fine with all your fish.

Anomaly
04-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Don't think I'd go with two Dwarf Gouramis, since almost all the ones sold at pet stores are males, and the males are notorious for being very aggressive with each other. If you want a really great schooling fish, give Rummynose Tetras a try. They are the tightest schooling fish I've ever had.

Ashley
04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! though I don't think I would want 50 shrimp, lol!

jaysee
04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Ashley - I have found that the corys segregate themselves.

I'm a big fan of the dwarf neon rainbows for a schooling fish. They top out at 2 inches, tightly school and are explosive eaters.