PDA

View Full Version : Mii-Cycle? D:

Wiggs
03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
So for a month my water has tested 0 Amm 0 NitrItes and ~10 NitrAtes.

Yesterday I did my first treatment of Flourish after removing the Carbon from both of my Ac70s and replacing it with more Biomax and some Filter floss.

Today, my NitrAtes read 0 0 amm and 0 NitrItes as well. Is my tank going into a mini-cycle? with two foam inserts and all of the biomax between the two filters, as well as 140g of filtration in a 36g tank i would assume that removing the carbon would not remove enough beneficial bacteria to send i backwards would it?

Jaster
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't think so... Carbon is only for cleaning the tank up and removing smells right?

Would the flourish do that to your bio?

Add any fish lately that could have changed something?

Wild Turkey
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
If the carbon was the only media, you are cycling, not mini cycling, get ready.

Otherwise, you are fine, your readings indicate no mini cycle at this time. Watch the ammonia reading closely.

Jaster, he removed the carbon because it can remove some of the things we dose with ferts and carbon, they dont hurt the bacteria bed. Just doesnt want to waste his money (i think) and who would

Sharkman
03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
i don't think you are in a mini cycle either. The nitrites and nitrates would be rising if you were. Keep testing for the rest of the week to be sure though.

Wiggs
03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
If the carbon was the only media, you are cycling, not mini cycling, get ready.

Otherwise, you are fine, your readings indicate no mini cycle at this time. Watch the ammonia reading closely.

yea not the only media, I have the Stock Filter foam and Fluval Biomax in each.

I figured that it was just an odd reading, but wanted to make sure/prepare myself in case i overlooked something.

Sharkman
03-31-2009, 04:54 PM
one other thing, the nitrate test is tricky. Sometimes if you do not follow the process exactly the reading gets thrown off. I'm not sure if that is a possibility for you or not, but just a suggestion.

Wiggs
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
one other thing, the nitrate test is tricky. Sometimes if you do not follow the process exactly the reading gets thrown off. I'm not sure if that is a possibility for you or not, but just a suggestion.

Yep, I took that into consideration as I know that the little particles can settle in the dropper. Tested it twice.

maybe i'm just being a pessimist here D: Or just cautious ;)