PDA

View Full Version : Black Mystery Snail Shell

matthew.shelly
03-31-2009, 05:33 AM
I've had my black mystery snail for over a month now. He has grown since I got him, as evidenced by his shell growth. I am worried though. His new shell growth does not appear normal. It isn't quite the same shade as his "old" shell. In some spots there are white areas and most of the new growth kind of looks like an unhealthy fingernail (not sure how else to describe it).
I'm attaching an older photo where you can see what I'm talking about.
It does not seem to be correcting itself. I know he has plenty of food and a mixed diet. He eats plenty of left over flakes of the ground and has plenty of algae to eat (I sometimes have to scrape spots off the glass when he isn't able to keep it at a reasonable level). I don't know if it could be something in the water that's causing this? He doesn't seem to be affected in terms of behavior, but I would like to know if anyone else has had the issue or knows what can be done to remedy it.

Oh! Also, There are 3 white lines that run along the side of the shell that resemble the issues in the new growth. Those were there when I got him, so I am wondering if this is just and issue of a "defective" snail.

Mvjnz
03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
For the new shell growth to have a slightly different colour is completely normal, you will usually see a permanent growth line on the shell from when the snail was moved to a different tank. Many things affect the shade of the shell, and that's why it can have different shades.

What is your pH? It should be at least 7, or the snail will have shell issues..

Fishalicious
03-31-2009, 08:17 AM
I would definately add some sort of calcium supplement for the little guy...there are many ways of adding calcium and also specific products but the cheapest is just buying a cuttlefish bone (the kind birds use to sharpen their beaks) and adding a bit into the tank after washing it ...you will notice the little guy rasping away on it when he needs calcium.

Wild Turkey
03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Low ph, Low kh, and poor diet can all cause shell damage in mystery snails. I agree with jess the bones are a good idea. It should encompass a little bit of all of the those factors. Alternatively you can adjust ph and hardness in traditional ways (raising it is easy) and add calcium to whatever you feed them, or the tank directly. Gotta be careful not to change anything too rapidly of course. IMO mystery snails are kind of an annoying keep

edit: this may be somewhat helpful http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38661