PDA

View Full Version : Floating plant suggestions for a low light, covered tank.

Kadina
03-30-2009, 06:00 PM
I have had hornwort in my 12g tank for the sunset gouramis but it is not doing well at all. After doing some research it seems that my water is too soft for the hornwort to thrive so I am looking at alternative floating plants. I was thinking Frogbit would be another option, but I read that it prefers an open top tank. This tank is an Eclipse System, so it is closed all of the time and has very low light. Has anyone grown frogbit in a closed tank? Would adding some crushed coral to the filter to buffer the water be enough for the hornwort? Any other suggestions for a floating plant that might work in those conditions?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
What other fish do you have in the tank?
Buffering the water would be a good option for the hornwort, but may not be the best option for all of your fish. The Gouramis wouldn't really mind a pH in the 7.4-7.8 range, but the other fish is the concern.

Kadina
03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
The tank has 2 Sunset gouramis and 3 albino corys. PH is usually around 6.2 to 6.4.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
You could raise the hardness and the pH and your cories still be fine, but you would have to do it slowly.

Kadina
03-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Just adding small amounts (like a tablespoon) of crushed coral at a time would cause it to raise slowly? I know that may sound like a dumb question but really don't know how that works. Are there other floating plants that would suit my parameters better?

Alfcea
03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I have hornwort in a soft, acidic tank. Even though it does not thrive, as you very well say, it still manages to survive and it is doing ok. Actually, I think of it as an advantage. I hear that when it "thrives" it grows so fast and so much that it can actually become a weed. I don't have those problems, and it seems to do ok. You might find the same too....

Kadina
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I have hornwort in a soft, acidic tank. Even though it does not thrive, as you very well say, it still manages to survive and it is doing ok. Actually, I think of it as an advantage. I hear that when it "thrives" it grows so fast and so much that it can actually become a weed. I don't have those problems, and it seems to do ok. You might find the same too....

My problem with it is that it looks horrible. It keeps blowing the needles and the ones that are left are brown. There are a few pieces that have remained green, but it is sparse. it has been in my tank for about 6 - 8 weeks now. The gouramis love it though, so I hate to take it out without a replacement floating plant.

obida0429
07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I noticed that If hornwort doesn't have a least 2 watts per gallon it looses alot of needles and becomes really brittle and decays. I've tried a few times to put some hornwort in my 20 gallon that only has barely 1 watt per gallon and that is what happens every time. Same ferts and water parameters too.

toddnbecka
07-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Duckweed will grow under just about any light, and doesn't fall apart when it dies. Come to think of it, I've never seen dead duckweed in a tank. As for the coral, just add a small handful to the filter or tank and that will raise the pH and hardness. No need to keep adding more.

MCHRKiller
07-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Dwarf water lettuce is also a very good option, being in a covered tank doesnt bother it either :22:

pest control
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
have you tried riccia fluitans? that is fine in a covered tank.

HorrorShowRot
01-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Im pretty sure its impossable for duckweed to diexD I had my tank lights off for a week no lights at all and nothing happened. The hornwort on the other hand how the current in the tank it seems as if its to high. That might be the problemxD

Rhaethe
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Good stuff to know! :22:

Which of the suggestions would be better for a tank that also has amazon sword and anubias?

annageckos
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Water sprite can be left to float and looks nice too. Most stem plants would work. I have water milfoil and it grows quikly. Another of my favorits is lotus. The will send up pad to the surface. Every week I am cutting some of the pads off it grows quickly.