PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab

labnjab
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I added one of these guys last week and he's a hair algae eating machine. He's been non stop since I added him. I wish I could have an army of them to wipe out my hair algae:hmm3grin2orange: I don't think he's big enough to make much of an impact, but he did clean off my purple birdsnest. I saw him latched onto it last night eating the few strands that got caught in it and now its clean. Unfortunately I gotta manually remove most of the algae today or tomorrow. Its getting unsightly again and is really discouraging (its starts to recede, then it comes back again), but I'll leave some for him

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Have you test for phosphates lately?

labnjab
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Yep, it always reads 0, but I know its not accurate. I'm running a pura pad, 2 types of macro algae, and a mangrove in the sump, but I'm thinking I may have to invest in a GFO.

Cameron
03-30-2009, 07:15 PM
how old is your tank, with that many things going for you its gotta be just a stage in the cycle, or your water isn't pure enough or something. Hope you get it all straitened out!

labnjab
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Tanks approaching 7 months. I'll actually dig up the hair algae thread I started a few weeks ago. This one was started just because I was happy I finaly found something that will eat the algae...lol

AABatteries
03-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I like my little emerald, he's awesome. Always hiding though.

labnjab
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I've read that they are nocturnal. I've only seen ours a few times and haven't seen him at all today

AABatteries
03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I've noticed that. I usually see him when only actinics are on and its almost lights out. Then in the morning when there's just outside light and the lights are off.

coachfraley
03-31-2009, 06:12 AM
From what I have heard, emeralds are hit and miss regarding what they will eat. I love mine. I bought him to eat a few pieces of bubble algae, and he went to town on them. No more bubbles in my tank!

snapdragon9
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
It is a hit and miss sometimes I think. I have two and sometimes you will see them eating hair algae...most of the time they are picking at the LR. Mine sleeps in my cabbage leather at night!