PDA

View Full Version : Update Cycling

chipper
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Well after not being home for three days came home friday night and did a 50% water change at 1:00 am and then another Sat and Sun my number are starting to come down. My Ammonia-2.0, Nitrite-1.0 and Nitrate- 10.0 and PH-6.4. I think I am heading in the right direction :19: . I am going to do another 50% water change today after i finish this thread. Still looking for a bigger tank. Have a 55 gallon with one tiger oscars two albinos one catfish and three Parrot all for no $. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
You are cycling with those fish I take it? If so, get some Tetra SafeStart to help keep those toxins down for the fish. If your ammonia was at 2, I would be surprised any was still alive. Their gills must be burning them.

Northernguy
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree with Lady Hobbs!
That stuff works well and may save your fish,for now.
You need a bigger tank with those fish!

chipper
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Last week the numbers were high the ammonia-8.0. I do put in Aquasafe when i do W/C. Everybody was telling me it was a false reading on the ammonia because i used ammolock which i will never put it in.

Northernguy
03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Tetra safe start is not a dechlorinator but more of an instant cycle for the tank.

chipper
03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I will go get some today

Thanks
Chipper

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I remember "now" but have talked to so many people this week, all cycling, that I get mixed up.

To clarify on the Tetra SafeStart.......nothing instantly cycles a tank unless you have used filter media from another tank you can move over. Tetra SafeStart is the old Bio-Spira that was kept refrigeratored to aid in the cycling. It is now sold on the shelf as Tetra SafeStart (still refrigeratored as saltwater cycling, tho) and it holds the toxins in a safer area so the fish can cycle safety. This product, nor any of these products, cycle a tank themselves.

Ask them at the fish store if you will give you some used filter media. That would help you out really fast.

chipper
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I remember "now" but have talked to so many people this week, all cycling, that I get mixed up.

To clarify on the Tetra SafeStart.......nothing instantly cycles a tank unless you have used filter media from another tank you can move over. Tetra SafeStart is the old Bio-Spira that was kept refrigeratored to aid in the cycling. It is now sold on the shelf as Tetra SafeStart (still refrigeratored as saltwater cycling, tho) and it holds the toxins in a safer area so the fish can cycle safety. This product, nor any of these products, cycle a tank themselves.

Ask them at the fish store if you will give you some used filter media. That would help you out really fast.
I will ask.

Thanks
Chipper

chipper
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I will ask.

Thanks
Chipper
Well i have to find another fish store. I asked the guy if he had any filter media and he said he did not have any, Bull. They did not have safestart so i got stress zyme made by API. Hope it works

Chipper

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Some of them are not willing and I can understand why. They may have one huge system that runs all their tanks and they are not like opening up a hang on the back filter.

Stress Zyme will help but use it as directed.......every 7 days or you'll get a bunch of slime in your tank.

chipper
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
:hmm3grin2orange:
Some of them are not willing and I can understand why. They may have one huge system that runs all their tanks and they are not like opening up a hang on the back filter.

Stress Zyme will help but use it as directed.......every 7 days or you'll get a bunch of slime in your tank.
When i Asked him he looked up to the sky and said no. I will put the next dose in 7 days and do water changes. After water change the number are Ammonia-1.0 Nitrate-10.0 Nitrite-0.25 Ph never changes. Will update time to time.:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks
Chipper

Wild Turkey
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
To be fair, saying that bacteria cultures instantly cycle a tank is a stretch.
But, to say they only hold down the levels of ammonia and nitrite while the bacteria grows is another stretch.
Some products advertised as such will do just that, hold them down, like the old "cycle" product.
Those products are worthless IMO, they dont anything water changes wont do for you.
But, the ones that actually contain the live bacteria do more than just hold down the levels. The only 3 i can say seem to work well most of the time (it will vary, its a bacteria culture not a chemical) are:
Tetra
API
Big Als (same formula as api stress zyme, they even say so)

Either way, testing daily and doing appropriate water changes during a cycle with fish is key to the fishes survival

chipper
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
To be fair, saying that bacteria cultures instantly cycle a tank is a stretch.
But, to say they only hold down the levels of ammonia and nitrite while the bacteria grows is another stretch.
Some products advertised as such will do just that, hold them down, like the old "cycle" product.
Those products are worthless IMO, they dont anything water changes wont do for you.
But, the ones that actually contain the live bacteria do more than just hold down the levels. The only 3 i can say seem to work well most of the time (it will vary, its a bacteria culture not a chemical) are:
Tetra
API
Big Als (same formula as api stress zyme, they even say so)

Either way, testing daily and doing appropriate water changes during a cycle with fish is key to the fishes survival
I will keep doing water change as much as possible. I am away 3 days a week. Thanks for the help. I will keep updating on the condition. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks