PDA

View Full Version : Help, mosquitoes in shrimp tank

fishlover49
03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I noticed some mosquitoes in my shrimp tank yesterday, at least I "think" they are mosquitoes, or could they be midges? :help: :help: There are no fish in that tank, although I did add a Neon this morning. What should I do?? :scry: Thanks!

mommy1
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
i am assuming they are larva. can you add a few more fish and let them eat them. ones that wont go after the shrimp of course.

fishlover49
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Some of them are flying around. :ssuprised: I took the lid off the tank and rinsed it off with really "hot" water. I am sure that killed any hiding on the lid. I checked around the lip of the tank, found a few, and smashed them. thumbs2: I turned up the bubbler and also the power filter. Not sure what else to do. :scry:

What kind of fish would you recommend? More Neons? Will they bother shrimp? Thanks!

mommy1
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I didnt realize that they were adults. i think the best thing is what you are doing. just keep smashing them. if their are larvae in the water then i think neons would be good to eat them. are the fish to small to eat the shrimp? and adding bubbles will help any new eggs from being laid. mosquitos dont usually lay their eggs in water that has movement to it.

fishlover49
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I am just not 100% sure they are even mosquitoes. They don't quite look like it. Do you think they could be midges? :help:

The Neon is pretty small, but he could maybe eat the tiny shrimp. Not sure what other fish would work.

Thanks for your help. :ssmile:

mommy1
03-30-2009, 02:12 PM
you could do a water change or siphon them out with a turkey baister or eyedropper.

fishlover49
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
you could do a water change or siphon them out with a turkey baister or eyedropper.

Yep, going to do that right now. Thanks for your help! thumbs2: